Hoping someone can jog my memory on pump priming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So I just got back my pump from the shop and they said they fixed it so yay! The pump is an above ground pump connected to the bottom drain in the pond and connected to an Aqua 4000 bead filter. The line has been off since Sunday. When I fill the basket to prime it, the pump will suck out the water in the basket but thats it. I've filled it up now 6 times hoping it would stay primed but it doesn't.

What am I missing? It was running fine before sunday it was just the pump was leaking water.

Now I've had this problem before with the pump not keeping primed but I can't remember how to fix it.

ANGEpT.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What I check, is the lid on tight, no air leaks, did you fill the lines, do you have a check valve that is stuck. Is the filter full of water?

My external is a bit lower, bottom, right at level of the water surface, the lid. It primes by itself. After I fill the basket.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shutting down 1/2 way on the outfeed can help as it can't empty the pump so fast.

if you have a bleeder on the top of the filter sometimes that will do it.

Make sure your water level in the pond is at it's highest point

I installed a pvc fitting where I installed a garden
spigot
to the infeed. Problem there is you need a double female adapter . the spigot is a male as is the end of the hose. not the easiest piece to find EXPECIALY ONCE CANCEL CULTURE FINDS OUT THERE ARE MALE A FEMAL FITTING IN PLUMBING i'm betting THAT SIMPLY WON'T DO. so I hook up the hose and and leave it running as it's starting up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm still trying. I've put Vaseline back on the giant rubber washer on the bin and dont see any links but no suction.

Should I just leave it on for a while if no water is moving hoping the pressure will bring it up or is that bad?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
one other thing. When I put the hose in to fill it up it never stops taking in water. I know I have a check valve too

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
one other thing. When I put the hose in to fill it up it never stops taking in water. I know I have a check valve too
If it never stops taking water most likely the check valve went bad. I have one on the pump line for my small deck pond pump. If that line goes dry the pump goes dry. My big pump can self prime, no check valve, it is a bit lower than the water surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it never stops taking water most likely the check valve went bad. I have one on the pump line for my small deck pond pump. If that line goes dry the pump goes dry. My big pump can self prime, no check valve, it is a bit lower than the water surface.

its done this before though. I just dont get how that thing could have gone bad in a few days of not running.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could be just stuck have you taken your garden hose and blast it down the line with the check valve? I did that once to remove a twig

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Could be just stuck have you taken your garden hose and blast it down the line with the check valve? I did that once to remove a twig

Thats the question I would need to blast it from the bottom drain towards the above ground bin and pump right?

Reaction score
Sounds like my regular issue i have... My external pump is also at or just above the water level - previous owner design.
I finally have gotten tired of it and this past weekend, did exactly what addy1 said to to... confirm the check valve is working or not... put some water with a garden hose down the inlet of the leaf filter basket and it never stopped taking water.
I also tried a hand held drain pipe router that i have and pushed it down the same inlet and never felt any appreciable resistance until when i think i hit the bottom drain.
So in my case, i dont know if the check valve is even part of my system (!) or if it is if its stuck open. The plumbing from the pump to the bottom drain is all under ground for me, so i cant even tell whats part of the system... i'll be doing some digging it seems.

But, with your pump power OFF, if you put water with a garden hose into that inlet of the leaf filter basket of your external pump and it just keeps taking it, your check valve is stuck. Note, i added some de-chlor to make sure i didnt get any chance of chlorine into my pond...
You are now in my boat... go find it and replace it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like my regular issue i have... My external pump is also at or just above the water level - previous owner design.
I finally have gotten tired of it and this past weekend, did exactly what addy1 said to to... confirm the check valve is working or not... put some water with a garden hose down the inlet of the leaf filter basket and it never stopped taking water.
I also tried a hand held drain pipe router that i have and pushed it down the same inlet and never felt any appreciable resistance until when i think i hit the bottom drain.
So in my case, i dont know if the check valve is even part of my system (!) or if it is if its stuck open. The plumbing from the pump to the bottom drain is all under ground for me, so i cant even tell whats part of the system... i'll be doing some digging it seems.

But, with your pump power OFF, if you put water with a garden hose into that inlet of the leaf filter basket of your external pump and it just keeps taking it, your check valve is stuck. Note, i added some de-chlor to make sure i didnt get any chance of chlorine into my pond...
You are now in my boat... go find it and replace it.

Sounds like I'm going to have to get into the pond and shove a hose up the drain.

I just dont get how it could get stuck in just a few days of not running! I didn't have that problem during the Texas freeze

Reaction score
Sounds like I'm going to have to get into the pond and shove a hose up the drain.

I just dont get how it could get stuck in just a few days of not running! I didn't have that problem during the Texas freeze

you're in a better position than i am - i cant get to my bottom drain easily as my pond is green (waiting for it to clear) and i dont want to risk messing with it until i get my thoughts together on whether i want to continue with my current setup or not. For now, i will be digging adjacent to my pond/drain to see if i can locate any check valve at all... oh for some detailed plans of how this all went together :) That's ok, i am making notes of everything as i go along...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
you're in a better position than i am - i cant get to my bottom drain easily as my pond is green (waiting for it to clear) and i dont want to risk messing with it until i get my thoughts together on whether i want to continue with my current setup or not. For now, i will be digging adjacent to my pond/drain to see if i can locate any check valve at all... oh for some detailed plans of how this all went together :) That's ok, i am making notes of everything as i go along...

yeah but even though its 76 here I know that water is going to be damn cold and I'm going to shatter glass with my screams

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
far be it for me to be adding fuel to your fire, but this is why I like submersible pumps; no checkvalve and no priming. Okay, I feel your pain, sorry about that...

Oh I've got one in the skimmer. This one just runs my bottom drain

Ask a Question