How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have nothing against Walmart as our super Walmart is kept nice and clean. I just don't need much ever from them as I too shop mainly at Costco and some other local stores when we get their sale paper in the mail. Don't get a Walmart sale paper otherwise maybe I would.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ah, yeah, we don't have a Costco anywhere near here. Closest one would be in Winston-Salem & that's an hour & a half away. Besides, I'm not organized enough to know what I'd have to buy for making dinners 8 weeks out! I have enough trouble meal planning 10 days at a time. We're big on fresh produce, too, and that won't last long, so if I have to go in for a few fresh items, I may as well just get everything for the week. I'm not crazy about shopping, but it works better for me that way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will say my one big gain (and there have been a few, I won't downplay that) from this whole situation has been that I have finally been able to convince my husband that we don't need to shop every dang week for groceries. He's retired so he sees it as a fun outing on a Saturday. I'm still working so I see it as a waste of one of my two days off every week. I've even tried to convince him that he can go on his own while I'm at work, but he just enjoys the "go to Costco, get gas for the car, go to our regular grocery store, then go out to lunch" routine. It's been great to roll that back to about once every three weeks or so.

@addy1 and @j.w - how do you only shop at Costco? We buy all of our meat, lots of our dairy and all of our paper products, cleaning products - and if I'm honest, most of my wardrobe! - from Costco. But we need the stop at the regular grocery store for things that we can't get at Costco like baking supplies, some types of produce or canned goods, or things that we could get but the quantity is just too large for us to use before it would go bad - like potatoes, onions, etc. I'm curious what others do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Differeant locations will vary greatly across the country as to what the chain stores will carry. Most of the super Walmart usually have a great selection but every now and then i go to an area and they are weak at best .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 and @j.w - how do you only shop at Costco?
I just do, have for years. For one thing I hate shopping, the things we buy in bulk we easily get through before spoilage. Now we buy excess meats and throw in freezer, sort of in order, older stuff gets eaten up.

This time of year getting lots of fresh veggies at the farmers market. We go early to drop off honey at a friends booth (she is younger and still working it, cookies breads etc) so she is selling our honey. Not as well as we did with a booth. Partly due to the lower crowds. I go early to set her up and run into the veggie stand before everybody shows up. They have hand washing station, masks and limit the # of people in the area.
We pay her a % of the sales for doing it and part of the market fee.

Winter, well for years we were down in Fl for winter, not this winter coming up. There are a lot of farmers stand there we would just hit them now and then.

But now with all the changes up here, I get what we can get at Costco (pretend the farmers markets are not running to make this statement accurate) and anything we can't get we just do without. I can make a lot of meals out of the food from costco. We go through the potatoes without issue, we buy those small ones in a bag, taste great. We can get a 5 lb bag of onions , if I don't use all I cook and freeze. The only thing I run short of is lettuce sometimes the bags don't last to well. ie it rots. This time of year I am getting fresh kale from the farmers stand. Think they are Mennonite, veggies are great, the workers very nice.

Down in florida, a lot of the costco food is kosher, up here they have some, I think ,I have not really looked for it. Totally different shopping experience down there. They sale booze, up here nope none.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know what's wrong with me, I did a better job of planing meals when I was younger ! These days I often fly by the seat of my ever growing pants :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 and @j.w - how do you only shop at Costco?

We do most of our shopping at Costco but not a lot of meat and not some canned goods etc. We have stores here that send out sale papers and that's when we buy the meat. Mostly only buy when on sale. Other stuff we buy on sale too. Just depends on who has the better value at the time. I make lists of what we need, hubby too what he wants. I am pretty organized, him not so much but getting trained better over 50yrs now,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I'm quarantined. Has to go get tested because someone I come in contact with regularly tested posative. Waiting on my results. Works not happy, manager had to cover my scheduled shifts, co workers were a bit panicked that I'd quit or been fired, cause hr said don't say why so they don't panick, at least till we know if I'm posative. I'm showing no symptoms, but apparently more people are being asymptomatic. Also, I'm hearing of folks who've not been tested getting notafied that they tasted posative... I suspect folks who know they are posative going and getting tasted under other names to fake drive up numbers.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I heard on the radio this morning that they said this covid thing since it is the same Corona virus as the cold virus is that it could be with us forever and we may have to make masks a permanent part of our lifestyle!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I'm quarantined. Has to go get tested because someone I come in contact with regularly tested positive. Waiting on my results. Works not happy, manager had to cover my scheduled shifts, co workers were a bit panicked that I'd quit or been fired, cause hr said don't say why so they don't pan-nick, at least till we know if I'm positive. I'm showing no symptoms, but apparently more people are being asymptomatic. Also, I'm hearing of folks who've not been tested getting notified that they tasted positive... I suspect folks who know they are positive going and getting tasted under other names to fake drive up numbers.
Not to less the severity Jamie but thank god the dr's seem to have a good routine down for when people do get sick with this. Even the media can't play up the death tolls because the numbers are low. the groups of people who know they are higher risk are protecting them selves. I have been around this covid 19 at work everyday since this pandemic started 290 cases since june20 at this location. No fatalities yes a couple nightmare stories but they recovered. Hopefully we get to a point we recognize it for what it is and live with the outbreaks instead of them breaking us

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I heard on the radio this morning that they said this covid thing since it is the same Corona virus as the cold virus is that it could be with us forever and we may have to make masks a permanent part of our lifestyle!
Not a chance in hell for me.

Then again your in the Portland area people have lost there minds out there j.w

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Portland yes, it's about 8 hours from us and Seattle is not any better. We are about an hour or so from Seattle up north. Will never darken the doors of Seattle again unless I have to go to one of their hospitals for some horrid reason. I hope we get a new governor here next time as our current one needs to go badly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So far, I'm good, just my typical allergies. The one I was exposed from is good too, he had fever and mild cough, still recovering, depleted energy is his only remaining symptom. And hes one of the 60+ guys with heart issues, but it looks like he will be fine. I'm trying to just enjoy time off, get stuff done, deep cleaning the kitchen, bathroom, aquariums, might go work on the ponds if the temps weren't so high. Hoestly, I'm glad for a break from work to just rest. I'm sleeping what my body requires, including naps, which I rarely get to do. I've been so exausted from work that I spend most of my days off sleeping, so this part is good for me. Once I'm done with the bathroom and kitchen, I think I'll do more outside work, in early morning and close to sunset. We need to knock down some grass and make a new burn pile, our burn barrel died. Country living doesn't include trash services!

Ask a Question