How are your Koi Fry Doing?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i watched one get eaten ...chased i guess, i saw it jump and get snatched in the air from a big one....i dont get it, ive been watching ones of the same sze swim and eating along side tthe big guys for weeks...and some of these guys for hours doing the same today. apparently 1" -1&1/2" is not a guarentee...unless your a plain dark ugly goldfish fry maybe.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i watched one get eaten ...chased i guess, i saw it jump and get snatched in the air from a big one....i dont get it, ive been watching ones of the same sze swim and eating along side tthe big guys for weeks...and some of these guys for hours doing the same today. apparently 1" -1&1/2" is not a guarentee...unless your a plain dark ugly goldfish fry maybe.

Reaction score
Long time lurker. First time poster. Here is a very small sampling of the 5 spawns I had this year. The biggest are from the end of April and are 2 1/2" long. The youngest are not pictured. They are in a 75 gallon tank and some are under 1/2" long. The rest in the pictures are from May 25th or so.
Most of my culling has been for deformed gill plates and crooked backs/tails. Is that normal for defects?
I just grow pond mutts. So it is interesting to see how they turn out. The black one with lighter patches intrigues me for some reason. And the one at the bottom of the 3rd picture with the grey/orange I think may turn out nice. But this is my first time raising baby Koi.
And what's up with these dots in the middle of all their heads? Seems like 95% of them have a dot in the middle of their head. Will these disappear?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Group1.jpg
    Group1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 316
  • Group2.jpg
    Group2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Group3.jpg
    Group3.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 400
Reaction score
So what do the fish eggs look like??? I thought I had some on top of a plant, but now I'm thinking it was algae. It was kind of hairy with little black dots.

Reaction score
In my opinion Koi eggs are sized like those little beads you find in a silicon pack, but a lot more clear. If they are white, most likely they are not fertilized. If they are "furry", they have molded. Do a Google search for "Koi eggs" in images. there are some good photos there.

Reaction score
When we drained our pond this spring, we cleaned out all of the goldfish so I have to assume that these little things swimming around (about 8 of them) are fry. They have similar colors as the koi (gray/white/orange/black) but they won't stay still long enough for me to snap a photo.

Give me a few days...I'll see what I can do.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my fry are all doing well....not growing as fast in the pond tho. lots more competition for food.and i cant feed them the brine shrimp any more...the big guys would get it all.

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic.. I could see that alot better than what I found on the webb.
I ran out to see if thats what I had & they're all gone!! so I guess thats what they were.
Hungry fish of mine ...Oh well that'll keep the poulation down. I gave away 30 goldfish/koi already this year , so I'm kinda glad I don't have any. I'm trying to give the goldies away & only have koi..Seems impossible!!.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
My 3 newbies are in fact koi. They are about 4 inches long right now. They share markings with a couple existing ones I have. I will post a pic later.

Ask a Question