How big of a container for a dwarf lilly?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My two tropical lilies in the basement, stagnate water, have not even added any water, poor things. The basement sits around 50 or so, the plants are right next to a patio door, no sun, they both have beautiful new leaves, even a small flower bud. Way to early to stick them outside, still too cold.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried water lettuce to and did good at first and then just turned brown and died ,no matter what i did I could not get it to come back .I did not fertilize anything because it was growing so good figured just leave them alone .Better less than to much and take the chance of killing them

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks again for the info you two's and I'll give those buggers another chance in my pond. If they can make it in your basement w/ 50* temps then the WH should be able to make it in my pond in summer and then perhaps in the house in winter.......worth a try eh?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larkin are you leaving them in pots inside the pot or are you planting them in some sort of media in the bottom?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Back to Fishtanker's question; the large tubs are sold at Home Depot, TSC, Walmart, and any number of other places. I've used them for years, and just thought I'd warn you: the $4 ones tend to bio-degrade after about two summers outside, while the $10 TSC ones are still fully useable after about 15 years. Just something to keep in mind.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So do those tubs take freezing temps, too? I know Addy leaves hers out all year long with her lotus, right? Assume Sissy does, too, but not sure Sissy has as much freezing. This year, none of us has had much freezing temps for our winter, and we're almost into March for goodness sake.
Sissy, I tried water hyacinth, had light on them 9 hours a day, they died. I didn't have any aeration, though, so maybe that is the key. My basement is not heated, but must be about 58 as that is what my basement pond water temp is, so the temps would be good. I have a room with east and south windows, so may try them next winter in there with a bubbler. And, since this summer I will add a pond for only goldfish, I'm hoping that floating plants like lettuce and hyacinth will remain alive, as I don't think goldies bother them, right, Addy? I was looking at pics of my fish when first added the koi, and thought it was cute Shamu was in the floating ring with the hyacinths! Now I realize he was EATING them. LOL Live and learn. That's also why they did ok in my bog, no fish to nibble their roots. And, this year I will be able to get new plants earlier and put them in the bog instead of waiting until July like I did last year. I'm really excited to try the bubbler in the tubs in the wintertime in basement, though!

Reaction score
Well, I'm hoping that I'd be able to bring the whole tub inside, we get -20 winters! ...We also get summer temps in the triple digits for 2-3 months. Lol, gotta love a place that gets extremes 3 hours away from a place that gets nothing but mild weather all the time. And I'm in both places all the time.

We have wild water hyacinths here, very pretty to see a big chunk of a wild pond just covered with green and purple

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fishtanker you sure it's the same water hyacinth that we are talking about here? Cuz it sure isn't supposed to survive over the winter in colder climates. Maybe you are talking about Pickerel Weed?

Hyacinth:

HyacinthFlower.jpg

Pickerel Weed:

Pickerel Weed.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha I get it! Well then I bet it's Pickerel Weed which can be quite pretty in bloom also and will grow in our ponds here but got to be careful cuz it can fill up a pot really thick and hard to get out to replant if you wait too long! I took it outta my pond cuz it attracted the aphids so bad too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have left my tubs outside for years now with the plants in them ,not one crack or break and plants got root bound so transplanted them into the landscape

Reaction score
well, I want to keep my options open. I live in an apartment with a landlord that's very happy seeing someone doing something with the yard. I'll probably be moving for a few years, but if I can leave them outside, that's great

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I found these plastic barrel pots similar to what Larkin has in his pics above, they are 9.99 at Meijers. Now there are only meijers in OH, KY, IN, IL, MI. They are in the garden center.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 219

Ask a Question