addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get fantails they are pretty, stay small and would be perfect for your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
im jumping the gun now a little fish breeding, fry ,happy/ideal conditions and oh yeah filtration, water,plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is my white male from last year. He should live another 10-20 years as long as no toxins get in my pond, I keep good water quality, and nothing kills him. He’s 5-6? Years old now I believe. Tough little booger, he started out as a feeder goldfish, ended up in the goose pond, then when that broke, ended up in an aquarium too small for the amount I had, then put in a pool and left to fed for himself, then I added catfish, then had to treat him for anchor worms, spend more time in an over crowded aquarium, then drift from the cotton spray killed half of my pond... and he’s survived the winter in a mini pond 3ft x 2 ft, by maybe 2 to three ft deep.

Attachments

• F563B05C-6E84-4889-BA23-E657FE263709.jpeg
    F563B05C-6E84-4889-BA23-E657FE263709.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s easy to get a bit carried away. Next you’ll be planning a bigger pond, with a full sized bog, and all the trimmings!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
wow he has been around the block a few times

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
It’s easy to get a bit carried away. Next you’ll be planning a bigger pond, with a full sized bog, and all the trimmings!
lol
My goldfish are pushing the foot long size, and that’s not including the long flowing tails. Shubinkin are very pretty, long flowing fins, reasonable price, nice colors. But: goldfish come in different max sizes based on what kind they are. Comet, common, shubinkin, the standard body type goldfish get up to a foot long. Bubble eye, celestial, the round type stay smaller, swim slower, and are bred to be kept as a pet. If your pond is close to your house, with few predators in the area- no neighborhood cats, herons, cranes, other fish water animals, you could stock more of those. However: all goldfish will breed if given the chance and good conditions, and you have a mix of genders. 2 could quickly become a hundred if the eggs aren’t eaten, and the fry survive. Then you face the dilemma of finding them new homes, either by building a new bigger pond, or by giving them away. And that’s every year that they breed. Sometimes even twice a year. Not to scare you off fish, I love mine, but it’s good for thought. If you can get someone who raises goldfish, they can help pick out fish most likely of one gender. I have to base my assumptions on gender on how they act in the springtime. There are ways to tell based on anal fins... I’m no expert.
i didnt know they grew to 12 " thats a massive fish, so based on what i read 1"per 10 gallons i would be maxed out with one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol

i didnt know they grew to 12 " thats a massive fish, so based on what i read 1"per 10 gallons i would be maxed out with one
Two full grown common, comet, or shubinkin would be your max. Which isn’t much, not a lot of chance at finding one with a super friendly personality, and kinda locks you in for the rest of their life, unless you can re home them. Which is why I suggested the smaller breeds, it could be cute having a tank of wiggle butt fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
thanks for the chart
i only scrolled through it as its 3am, here ,its bookmarked for tomorrow to read,
along with redraining my pond and resetting it for the last time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
that thought has already crossed my mind

Reaction score
My pond is a little under 3000 gallons and I have 4 fish total, 3 are koi. For a 150 gallon pond with a filter, you could easily have 6 goldfish. Don't worry about them getting big goldfish grow very slowly. Think about where you got the fish. Did they have a 150-gallon aquarium with only 6 fish in it? You could actually have a few more but too many fish make things look chaotic and not peaceful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Here's what I have, 3 goldfish, and one minnow. I had 4 goldfish, but one dissapeared a month or so ago.
My pond is about 2 feet deep, (mabe a few inches more) and about 3000 gallons total.DSCN1202 (Copy).jpgFertilizer for tomatoes.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pond will be about 675 Gal. How many gold fish will this pond support?

Ask a Question