How do you feed your goldfish?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I'm feeding mine too little or too much. I feed them Tetra goldfish sticks once a day (my guess is about 20 sticks total?). They usually eat it all within a minute or two. I have 8 fish. My aunt told me you don't need to feed them much at all, since they forage. Is the way I'm feeding them healthy?
How do you feed yours?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It depends on the pond environment.The more opportunities that are provided for a natural food chain to develop the less the fish need to be manually fed.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends on the pond environment.The more opportunities that are provided for a natural food chain to develop the less the fish need to be manually fed.

Well there are a bunch of pond plants, including water hyacinths and lettuce. Some snails. Very tiny pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thats not a lot to feed them. As long as your water parameters are good you can feed them several times a day. Food helps them grow as long as you don't overfeed.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm feeding mine too little or too much. I feed them Tetra goldfish sticks once a day (my guess is about 20 sticks total?). They usually eat it all within a minute or two. I have 8 fish. My aunt told me you don't need to feed them much at all, since they forage. Is the way I'm feeding them healthy?
How do you feed yours?
Not a lot of foraging room in a 300 gal pond. I'd say you are doing just fine, however I know some parents that raise their kids using pretty much the same principal and they survived.

Ask a Question