How fast do Koi grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hi Sissy! Well, for the moment, I am feeding them just gold fish flake left over from my other fish, but I have on order fall/spring food with the higher wheat content to get them ready thru winter. I also have a thermometer on order. Once the water drops below 50 degrees, I will switch to the fall food. Id like to fatten them up in the little time I have left before winter.

Hmm, in reading that...I realize Im a bit confused about WHEN I should switch their food. I read not to feed them at all once the water is under 50 degrees consistently. Ok! Went looking more and found the answers. Below 50 F feed wheat food until 40F then stop feeding until spring when temps are 50F for at least two weeks. Is that right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
If I can slow their growth without effecting their health, that would be great. They can swim thru this pond easily enough at this size. Right now they are shy and kinda sleepy. They dont surface much and prefer to eat the flake that sinks right now. Still just shy and they are nervous of my presence and shoot around the pond. They seem very healthy for all I (dont) know about Koi, lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Would it be possible to move this more recent part of the thread -- starting with post #10 -- to a place of its own? It's tagged onto a thread from 2009, and people might miss it when they start reading and see the date (I almost did). IF that's even something that can be done. Thanks!

@KC Crook It's OK that you posted there, but sometimes it's better to start a new thread, esp if the original is pretty old. I just don't want your posts to get passed over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
thx, I disnt want to start a new thread on an already discussed topic....I didnt pay attention to the date...sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
yes it depends on diet mainly , if you dont want them to grow very large , dont feed them protein or too much food , they will remain smaller , but big pond gives them alot food naturaly so they grow faster and if you have small pond and you give them good diet they can still get big . other factors all attached to big pond and filter is that they consume food quicker from exercise then you can feed them more to grow , if filter is strong it can withstand waste or you cant feed them alot .
i disagree with people who say koi will outgrow small pond , no it wont if you dont feed them much ... from where they will get mass without food?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought 6 tosai (two to three and a half inches, from PETsMART) in April of last year and placed them in my 700 gallon pond. At the time of this post, roughly 18 months later,5 are in excess of eighteen inches' (the 6th is about 8 to 9). I have a feeling genetics many be as important as care since the larger ones are ogon and asagi while the small one is a sanke. Anyone want to help me dig out a larger pond next spring?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thx, I disnt want to start a new thread on an already discussed topic....I didnt pay attention to the date...sorry.
I stop reading threads once I feel I can no longer either learn from, nor contribute, and I don't think I'm the only one so it is my advise that you do start new threads unless of course there is a very current one that still gets enough viewers :)

Ask a Question