How many have indoor tanks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do most of you have indoor wet pets? I started out with indoor freshwater pets. Than went to a pond. Love both. My first love will always be my pond, but the indoor tank gives me something to do in the cold months.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I got my first tropical fish at age 5, but mother made me give back the guppies, jam jar and all! Got my first tank at age 9 or 10, had up to 30 tanks for a while, but got rid of everything 27 years ago when we started building our house. Now I have 3 tanks set up, 2 community and one for guppies only. Trying to find space for a small tank for Red Cherry Shrimp. A LOT has changed in the last 27 yeard!!!
John

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I still remember the first tank we had. I was maybe 5 or 6. My oldest brother set it up in our bedroom. We had it for a while, then it disappeared and just became a childhood memory.

My experience with fishes started when we got this house. I basically maintained it as it is for years before discovering forums and getting into it more. I have indoor tanks now and that basically started by thinking about keeping water hyacinths alive during Winter in a large pot, then putting some feeder fish in that pot, then just getting a tank. The second tank originally was supposed to be a sump tank, but it became a fish tank when we moved some tetras into it. So now we have a pond and two tanks. My first love will always be eating and second love taking naps, neither are really compatible with keep fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
John... same childhood experience...my older brother had one setup in our room. then my wife and i had one for a couple years. son took it when he moved out. now i have my 800 gal koi tank/pond in the basement.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have had inside tanks for as long as I can remember. Took a break when I moved, sold the 175 gallon tank, to big to move.
Now have a 55 gallon on the floor with a mix of tetras........................so easy to take care of.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had FW tanks off & on since middle school. Now have the pond, but "rescued" some of the fry this summer and decided to keep them indoors so I could watch them develop and change. Well, wasn't long before 4 fry quickly outgrew a 20 gal. tank, so the 2 biggest are outside and will keep the "babies" inside until spring. I just love watching them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think my first tank was actually a fishbowl with those fair fish you got for tossing a ball in their bowl. Yes, they have come pretty far from years ago when you just filled up the tank with tap water. I went from a 46 gal to a 75 than to a 220. I did the saltwater for a few years, just got too expensive. I'm happy with the 220. I just don't let the pond fish know there is a nice warm wet home inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I got my first 10 gal aquarium when I was maybe 9 or 10, have had fish in aquariums ever since, pretty much, even set up a tank in apartment in college, and had an angel fish lay eggs ... on a Sunday when no store was open to tell me what to do with them, so I lost them all. But, moved from 10 gal to 29 tall. Had that with fresh, then salt water, knowing it was too small, but not really understanding why. Sold the saltwater fish, was going to set up the 29 tall when I moved here 4 years ago, then realized I needed new stand. In searching on Craigs list for a new stand, I found a 55 gal (my dream aquarium size ...) with wood stand and matching wood hood, complete with 5 large goldfish, and tons of stuff inside, fully up and running (so I took the water, too) for same price a new stand was going to cost for the 29! Former boyfriend bought me a new stand for the 29 that Christmas. BUT, those goldfish, purchased with the 55 gal tank in 2011, are what prompted me to think about a pond to put them in, so I could fill the aquarium with fish I really wanted. And, now I have 2 ponds and 2 aquariums (55 is tropical, 29 is brackish). Love them all!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a fifty five gallon, a twenty nine gallon, a thirty gallon, a twenty gallon, a fifteen gallon, two five gallons and a few other two and a half gallon betta tanks.

All started with a gift of a betta in a vase. Didn't know anything about keeping fish at the time. Always found myself watching the red cap orandas when I would go to a pet store. Decided to purchase a ten gallon and a couple of goldfish (orandas) and quickly decided the tank was too small and ended up getting serveral more tanks over the years.

thank goodness for the internet :D

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I started off keeping fish when I was about 6 years old. I lived on a lake and the wildlife and fisheries came in and had to kill off the lake for some reason to control the stocking levels. I tried to save every floater I could catch. My Mom came in and I had both bathtubs full of fish, and both sinks and was heading out to catch more! I got really upset when she wouldn't let me keep them and they all ended up getting cleaned and fried! Boy talking about a hard lesson for a 6 year old to learn all in one day! but fate had it's own twist in the story, My Dad talked to the agent in charge and had him come tell me all about why they had to do what they were doing and he took me and the family to the Mississippi wildlife museum. There is where it all started! Fish tanks full of all kinds of native fish from all over the state! So the adventure began, My mom and dad got me a 30 gallon tank and actually built into the living room wall. Since then I have kept a fish tank or some body of water with living creatures for all but the 4 years I was in the military. I have worked in Pet shops, Public aquariums, Corp. of Engineers, Owned my own Pet Shop, Toured one full year on a bass fishing tournament tour, Did Volunteer work for a Dolphin rehabilitation facility in Ga. and Spent many volunteer hours on Turtle watch in the Gulf of Mexico all fish related in one way or another.
Presently I have 4 fish tanks, a 150 gallon Semi aggressive Jumbo fish tank, a 65 gallon Lake Tanganyika cichlid tank, a 65 gallon, goldfish and baby koi tank, and a 6 gallon nano planted Shrimp tank, along with 9 ponds. I have at one time been responsible for over 200 aquarium under my care and managed two laboratories construction for the Corp. of engineers. All this and still made most of my living in the gulf of Mexico running explosives for a oil field company. The journey has been long and the years have passed by but one thing for certain, I have a passion for fish! Inside, outside, or upside down.
I'll leave this a final thought, I have even told my wife and kids that I wish to be put to rest with the fish in the sea when my time comes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, Larkin, I think you win! That's a lot of fish and ways of having and enjoying them over the years. Great stories, too. If I lived closer to the ocean, I would love to volunteer on those turtle watches and help with dolphin rescues. Maybe someday ... when I retire .... :blueflower:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I can just imagine Mrs. Larkin and Larkin Jrs. renting a dingy on a dark night, then furtively rowing out past the pier and pushing our dear Mod overboard with a rock tied to his feet. When people ask where he's gone, Mrs. Larkin will just cheerily say that he's gone out for a swim. But let me know, I'm up for some rowing on a dark night.
fishin4cars said:
I'll leave this a final thought, I have even told my wife and kids that I wish to be put to rest with the fish in the sea when my time comes.

Ask a Question