How many have indoor tanks?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I wanted to downsize and get rid of some tanks but then I went out and got more last year when hubby was sick, it helped him relax and he loves his wild guppies and we joke that when I clean the guppy tanks that "no guppy or little snail was harmed in the process"!! And that really is funny, cause it is impossible not to accidently flush somebody down the toilet, some are so small I can barely see them!! He he he... guppy control!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
callingcolleen1 said:
I wanted to downsize and get rid of some tanks but then I went out and got more last year when hubby was sick, it helped him relax and he loves his wild guppies and we joke that when I clean the guppy tanks that "no guppy or little snail was harmed in the process"!! And that really is funny, cause it is impossible not to accidently flush somebody down the toilet, some are so small I can barely see them!! He he he... guppy control!!
geez guppy flusher

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That reminds me of a friend who tried to keep fancy goldfisn in his college dorm room, without much success. Someone told him goldfish needed LOTS of water changes, so he put them in the toilet tank! Every flush, a fresh water change. You can use your immagination to figure out the end result of THAT experiment!!! :goldfish: :disappointed_anim:
John

Reaction score
HARO said:
That reminds me of a friend who tried to keep fancy goldfisn in his college dorm room, without much success. Someone told him goldfish needed LOTS of water changes, so he put them in the toilet tank! Every flush, a fresh water change. You can use your immagination to figure out the end result of THAT experiment!!! :goldfish: :disappointed_anim:
John
How does a person like that get accepted by a college? CC?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Prior to moving to Oklahoma I had fish a room..

Even prior to moving to Oklahoma I was keeping more and more fish outside. Less work and they were healthier.

Here the water is so hard that it makes keeping a show tank looking good very hard.

So I have indoor tanks but none are in use.

If and when I setup tanks again I want to circulate outside pond water thorough them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Back on January 6, after a big snowstorm (for this area anyhow, got between 12-15") and then arctic freeze with below zero air temps, power went out for 22 hours. I have no generator, but had 2 kerosene heaters I started up the following morning. Power went off around 7 that evening, and by 5 a.m., the house was 40 degrees. (In hind sight, I will in the future start up the heaters as soon as the power is off more than an hour, live and learn.)
Anyhow, the following day, with heaters going, temp in the house barely made it up to 50, and the fish in the tanks were feeling the cold.
Dual kerosene.JPG
I had 2 battery operated aerators, but figured that would chill the water more, and didn't use them. This is what I had to sit and watch happen while I had no way to help them out. I was certain both angels and the Archer fish were all dead.
Dead fish  ... not.JPGUpside down, but NOT dead.JPG
I cleaned both tanks this past weekend, so I can finally show what they look like, and am happy to say that ALL of these fish survived. I did lose my two rummy nose tetras from the large tank, and the two green puffers from the brackish tank. But, learned that corys, plecos, killifish, mollies and my big Mono were none the worse for wear in the extreme cold. I will try to get that situation rectified so I don't have to worry again in the future, though.
The two tanks sit side by side, but where I sit in the evenings and on the weekends (if I'm in the house that is ...) is directly across from them, so get the most enjoyment from them this way.
55 gal tank.JPGTwo aquariums.JPG
In the brackish water tank, on the left, there are 3 different colors of Mollies - white, black and black/white. Also an Archer and a Mono (you can see the Mono in the back, behind the heater, where she hides, unless she's chasing the Archer).
Archer, mollies and Mono in brackish water tank.JPG
The fish in the tropical 55 gal aquarium include two large angels (both that 'came back from the dead during the power outage'), a long finned Rosy Barb, 2 Killifish, 2 Clown Plecos, a Dojo Loach, 5 or 6 Cory Cats, Horseface Loach (hides in the gravel unless it's feeding time).
Black and white angel.JPGClown pleco and Dojo loach.JPGKoi angel.JPGLong finned rosey barb.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I sadly failed to say no to my son's puppy eyes when he said he wanted the Ghost catfish, now we have 2 and now I wanted more....

My first group of baby guppies are now reduced to 2 male and 1 female, the males are very colorful, black body with red/arange streaks, with red/orange/yellow tail and blueish back fin, but short tail. I used to have 3 males but 1 of them mysteriously dissappeared, they are almost as big as their parents now so no way of getting eaten by the shubby. I wonder if my male babies's tail will ever grow longer.

The rest of the later babies are all female... and there are about 8 of them...

So I went out and bought more males and had to tell my son to keep it a secret between us :fingersx: one male has yellowish tale that sometimes turn greenish and sometimes blueish.... very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Guppies are so colorful, and each and every one of them is unique. I really want to add some guppies to my big tank, but thinking they will have a heck of a time with the angels. I need some middle swimmers in that tank, just need to go by the local pet shop and find out when they are getting a shipment of guppies in. I absolutely love to sit and watch them, and decide which 2 or 3 or ... 7 I will get! LOL "You can't have just 1" is so true with many types of fish. Just realized that besides the killifish (2) which stay at the top of the water, and 2 angels and the rosy barb, all the other fish in that tank are bottom dwellers. So, I need about 10 of something for the middle. Just have never been in when they get in any fish that I just gotta have ... yet! Even thought about putting some fancy goldfish in there, but none of them have caught my eye lately either.
I've always loved neon tetras, but have never had luck with them. What's the key to raising them successfully, and by "raising them" I simply mean keeping them alive, not breeding them.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have had neon tetras for years, and the key is to keep them happy and with lots of guppies as tank mates. That way the neon's won't pick on each other, but will be happy and eat the odd small guppy, and you probally won't notice this! I feed the neons frozen brime shimp and keep the neons with a good working heater as they don't like to be cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wonder how the neons would do with the large angels, Colleen? I really want to trade in the large angels for 3 or 4 babies. Love watching them grow up. Then I wouldn't worry about adding a group of neons and guppies to that tank. Would be like starting all over. Of course, the killi's will grab anything small enough to eat! I don't know if they would eat a neon or not, though, since they tend to stay mid tank, and the killi's tend to feed off the top.

Ask a Question