How many have indoor tanks?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What about adding more rosy barbs? They are schooling fish and would do well in a group of say five or more. I bet they would add some activity and color.

I have had neon tetras off and on over the years and never had issues with them. I have always considered them to be hardy fish. Kept them with guppies and or bettas.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
CE I would try a few neons, careful though with rosy barbs cause they might pick at the fins of the angel fish. Barbs tend to bite at long flowing fins but a group of eight to ten neons would look nice with the big angels.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I would love to trade in my big dog food eating Tin Foil Barb, but hubby loves him and so he has to stay, big thing eats lots and makes my big tank look dirty half the time with algae, but such in life, got to clean that tank yet again, keeping hubby happy and stress free is first and foremost in my world! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Last year I raised my guppies in the pond with my goldfish until it got colder than 65 at night then I moved them inside. This year I'm planning on moving most of them out to the pond too when it's warm enough, i love seeing them in there. Also I'll leave some of the female inside with a few male I want to have babies from.

Im thinking the Ghost catfish needs more friend.. I'm going to get may be one or two more. I wanted other type of fish too but my tank is getting a bit crowded.

I read everywhere and they kept saying to do water change every week on the tank, well, I have not done so since I set up this tank and the water is just fine. I dont know is it because I have live plants or not, and I think my tank is about almost over stock too. I dont have small gravel bottom though, I have rocks 1-2 inches size losely placed on the bottom and I can see glass bottom.

I have to add about 1.5 gallon of water every few days though, it evaporated way too quick!

Reaction score
Country
United States
callingcolleen1 said:
CE I would try a few neons, careful though with rosy barbs cause they might pick at the fins of the angel fish. Barbs tend to bite at long flowing fins but a group of eight to ten neons would look nice with the big angels.
I'm pretty sure she already has one rosy barb in the tank with the angels.

I never found the neons to be nippy at all. Nice fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nepen said:
Last year I raised my guppies in the pond with my goldfish until it got colder than 65 at night then I moved them inside. This year I'm planning on moving most of them out to the pond too when it's warm enough, i love seeing them in there. Also I'll leave some of the female inside with a few male I want to have babies from.

Im thinking the Ghost catfish needs more friend.. I'm going to get may be one or two more. I wanted other type of fish too but my tank is getting a bit crowded.

I read everywhere and they kept saying to do water change every week on the tank, well, I have not done so since I set up this tank and the water is just fine. I dont know is it because I have live plants or not, and I think my tank is about almost over stock too. I dont have small gravel bottom though, I have rocks 1-2 inches size losely placed on the bottom and I can see glass bottom.

I have to add about 1.5 gallon of water every few days though, it evaporated way too quick!
How in the world do you fish guppies out of a pond? I would imagine some get left behind? :dunno:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the pointers, everyone. Yep, I remember there was a larger hardier tetra, thanks for the reminder, Haro. Yes, I do have a rosy barb, long tailed, and keep looking for more, would definitely love to get about 5 more of them. They are so colorful and the ones I had never went after anything. I also would love to get more rummy nose tetras. Red nose (like lipstick), white tail with black dots on the tips, very flashy. But, they were the only 2 fish that did not make it through the cold in the tropical tank.
So, will just have to stop by the pet store and ask when their fish are coming in, and if they will be getting any locally raised guppies. They have someone they buy from that has some really outstanding guppies, all sorts of colors and types. But, if you want them, you have to get there when they arrive, as by the following day, they are all sold. I think they usually get their fish in on Thursdays, so tomorrow may be a good day to go by on my lunch hour and ask some questions. I could ask them to order certain fish, and if they are fish they normally stock, they would not charge me extra. I just like looking and seeing if I just "gotta have" any of the ones they get!
Would love to get a scat for the brackish tank, but the Mono is so large, and she chases the heck out of the Archer, but does not bother the mollies at all. I guess she and the Archers are rivals. BTW, I have no idea of sex, I just call the Mono a she because of her attitude and bossiness. LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How in the world do you fish guppies out of a pond? I would imagine some get left behind? :dunno:
lol It took about 2 hours. My pond is not big, only about 600 gallon so I can basicly see everything in the pond. I got most of them but one who kept hiding under water lettuce. But finally I got him, at night while he couldnt see me but I saw him from pond light :). I had just 8 then, easy to count.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
CE; So it's the FEMALES that have the attitude and bossiness, eh! I'll have to remember that. Another (very underrated) fish you might try is the White Cloud Mountain minnow. Around here they are often sold as 'feeders', so a school of 25 will only set you back about $4 -$5 dollars. They are tough, cold-tolerant, and just about the best dither fish I've ever tried. Mid-tank feeders, and while not as flashy as neons or cardinals, they era still a nice addition to the tank.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, I knew you would catch that, Haro, that I called the Mono fish a she cause she is bossy! My "koi" angel (creamy white with few black spots, and reddish blush on forehead area) I call a she and the black and white one a he, but the black and white one is the bossier of the two of them. So, it just depends on which one I think is prettier, or I just get endeared to and relate to as a female.;)
Oh no, did they take away my fun smiling sun? Hmm ... not so many emoticons left to choose from anymore. We must have been using too many of them. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I got several different types of schooling fish this evening and added them to my 55 gal tank, with the 2 angels and 1 Rosy barb. I got 6 Tiger Barbs, 5 Scissortail Rasboras, 3 Rosy Tetras, and one small rainbow shark. Here are some pics I stole from the internet, since they are nice and clear. The pics are in the order I listed the fish above.
Fish - tiger-barb fish.jpg
Fish - Scissor tail rasbora.jpg
Fish - Rosy Tetra.jpg
Fish - rainbow shark.jpg

Oops, looks like all different sizes of pics were saved and copied here. Sorry about that! Learning this new way of attaching files. Anyhow, I wanted to add an albino rainbow shark, same as the black one with red fins, only it's white with red fins. But, I got a small sized rainbow shark, and they only had medium in the albino. I was afraid the albino would beat up the rainbow, so will wait for the rainbow to grow some. I like getting small fish, letting them grow.
So far, they are all getting along great. The fish are all schooling with their own kind, sooo funny! I guess they were raised together, so it makes sense. But, to see 3 groups swimming together and next to the other groups, but not intermingling is hilarious to me. Will be fun to watch them now.
Also was interested in a Clown Loach, but decided to wait on that one, too. The fish I got were all pretty cheap, nothing more than $2.50 each.
For my brackish tank, I want to get a red scat! They had green scats, and they were pretty large, but if I'm going to spend the money for one (the greens were $19 each), I want one with the red coloring on it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My house sitters are telling me the inside tank is doing fine, just turning green with algae on the glass. The fish are all surviving, one thing nice about a big under populated tank the water lasts for a long time without changing out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sooo true, Addy. I had been totally lax though in not changing water in both of my tanks. It always looks so much better when I do a total cleaning, like I did on the brackish tank. This is literally the clearest that I've ever seen that tank. Bad thing, never put a brackish or salt water next to tropical/fresh water tank! OMG, the clarity in the water in so different. Loving my new schooling fish. Wish the rainbow shark would come to the front more often. He's sure a busy little guy, though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will have catch up to do when we head home. House, pond, plants, fish tank, electric fencing, plants. on and on. Bee class........won't stop for a while lol

Ask a Question