How many have indoor tanks?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Those are pretty fish! I wish I have more tank haha but my tank is quite full now.

The big mama guppy died yesterday, I suspect old age or just plain tired of getting chased and had babies! Too bad I couldn't save any of her last batch of babies, all got eaten right quick.

The second biggest mama (who's now a big mama) just had about 35+ babies. I got hornworts floating for them to hide. Hoping some male survive, curious to see how the color will turn out since this mama is turquoise. I'm hoping she's done having babies but she still seems big so I'm going to separate her for another night., that will give her a rest from being chased too.

Now what am I going to do with all the babies :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nepen, the prettiest guppies they had when I was there were in their plant tank. The owner's daughter, who works there, "saves" them when they come in as feeder guppies, and have pretty colors showing up as they grow, puts them in the feeder. Then she also saves babies from the guppy tank, and puts them in the plant tank. Funny, but if she saves a fish, puts it in the plant tank, it's really hard to talk her into selling them! I once bought a goldfish she put in there. It was a feeder, but had all 3 colors, which is very uncommon. I had to beg her 3 different times coming in, knew not to ask the other workers, and finally she gave in. Strange thing is that the black disappeared within a week in my pond. I've had that happen before, too. Something with my pond water vs. pet shop water, I guess. Or, maybe the sunshine. Anyhow, it was still alive and well last time I saw all the fish, which was yesterday with the goldfish pond totally thawed out. :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a 75g planted tank with mostly various types of tetras, shrimp (cherry, ghost, amano), pleco, otos and rasboras. I have quite a few plants and they do not grow very fast as I don't have high light levels in order to keep the algae in check. After reading through the posts above I too have had mixed results with shrimp. I lost two cherries right after I got them but the third has done quite well, the 5 ghost shrimp are all still kicking but I lost 4 amanos, two smaller ones and two larger ones about 2" long.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It is always a struggle to keep a community tank alive and well. Plus some of those little tetras do not live too long. I have mostly guppies and pladys cause they make lots of new babies easy, I do have some neon tetras that are still alive and well now for over a year and a half. My oldest fish is the Upside Down catfish, I have had that catfish since 1991, and I am not sure how old he was when I got him! The hubby and I still cannot understand how that fish can still be alive and well. His tank mates are just wild guppies, and I keep only live plants like duck weed and angle hair. No plastic in that tank either, just ceramic glazed house that I have had since I was a kid, and real rocks for decoration. Who ever heard of a Upside Down catfish living that long!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can barely see my fish in the tank, lots of green algae on the glass, lots of plant growth. Job today, clean the filter and tank.

Then get some food................then and hate this, got to start on taxes!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After I posted about my tank and my water was fine then a few weeks later my water went crashing... I jinked myself :(

Battled over the high Nitrate for a while now. And eventhough I have crused oystershells in the filter chamber, the KH is still super low and the pH sometimes goes down (mostly after water changed).

Right now I'm super over stock with baby guppies in the 30+ but I also added lots more plants and also have floating plants to help with the Nitrate some.

Got the shubbie in the pond help with the waste load. I'm crossing my fingers for warmer water soon so I can have all my adult guppy in the pond, probably have to wait until July for that. Dont know what to do with the guppies now... I might have to get a molly to control the population abit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have had tanks for years and constantly battled crashes. I ended up putting crushed oyster shells under the gravel and it did the trick for me..... so far

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now I'm super over stock with baby guppies in the 30+ but I also added lots more plants and also have floating plants to help with the Nitrate some.

Got the shubbie in the pond help with the waste load. I'm crossing my fingers for warmer water soon so I can have all my adult guppy in the pond, probably have to wait until July for that. Dont know what to do with the guppies now... I might have to get a molly to control the population abit.

I have a betta in my guppy tank or else it would be horribly overstocked ;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I finally cleaned my tank. It was long overdue. My single zebra danio is probably happy. (thought admittedly, I can't wait until it dies) Once my lonely fish does die, I'll probably get a red-capped Oranda, or maybe use the tank for tadpoles. Until then, I don't have the lack-of-heart to kill it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my 55 gallon has tetras in it, they have been on their own for 2.5 months except for an auto feeder. They all survived, look great, once I cleaned the tank and could see the fish again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have had community tank in the 55 gal since I got it, and put the goldfish into the goldfish pond 2 years ago. All the fish are doing fantastic, no deaths at all, I count fish every morning. LOL I'm cleaning it more often now, since I have a full load so to speak, but "vacuuming" the bottom and adding more water is a breeze, takes only about 15-20 minutes tops.
Now my brackish water tank, still have no idea why the water is so cloudy. Wondering ... will my freshwater text kit work the same on brackish water, or should I use a salt water test kit? Guy at pet store said to first check ammonia and nitrates, and if the fresh water test kit is accurate (I sure hope it's NOT), my nitrate is over the edge! Yikes!!! I'm hoping a salt water kit will show different results. Anyone know how the kits work for nitrates?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a betta in my guppy tank or else it would be horribly overstocked ;)
Male betta? Won't they attack the guppies? I heard that it's not a good idea since betta might attack long flowey tail guppies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think the idea of the betta was to eat the babies, population control. I think bettas, for the most part, are very docile, and don't bother any other fish. If you have a female in with a male, then watch out! Often, the male betta is the one getting attacked for it's long fins by other fish.
I have guppies and platties and mollies, and never see a baby, because too many other fish around to eat them. I wish that at least one would survive, so I could watch it dart around the tank and grow up. Maybe someday ....
JB, why are you waiting for your one danio to die, why not add the oranda, or tadpoles now? They could all easily live together with the danio. I'm like you, I can't kill a fish, but if I wanted to get rid of one, I would check with the pet shop, or advertise it to give away. People are always up for a good deal, and free is a GREAT deal. :)

Ask a Question