How many have indoor tanks?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My son has been wanting to get a betta, may be I'll finally get him one. Hope the one we get doesn't chase our guppies. Or may be I'll get one Molly. I actually love seeing the babies grow, it's fun to see how they turn out to be.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB, why are you waiting for your one danio to die, why not add the oranda, or tadpoles now? They could all easily live together with the danio.

Well, from what I've read, they only live about 5 years, and I've had it nearly 5, so my plan is just to wait it out. Once it dies I'm going to move the tank, and make some changes like remove the gravel, fake plants, "Fresh Fish Daily" sign, and mini bridge. :LOL:

I'm not sure about getting an Oranda yet, I've always wanted one, but it would probably be a better idea to wait until I have a larger aquarium so I can keep a few of them. I might just keep this tank a tadpole setup, with shallow water and brick for land. Maybe I'll take some of my pond hornwort and put it in. Maybe some duckweed too. Oops, I'm thinking out loud again.. well, not out loud.. but.... ok, i'm going to end this here :woot:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Figured I'd share my tank. I ended up moving the tank today to brighten it up a little.

IMG_6525.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I went on a 3 nights vacation and when I got back my tank's been crazy! The water lettuces, which were fine before, started dying and floating everywhere, I had to get all of them out; 1 of my red sakura shrimps got stuck at the pump intake, I thought it was dead but it moved so I put it back in the tank, this morning it's still moving; 1 red sakura shrimp and 3 guppy babies got into the filter chamber, I had to get them out and also clean the filter as it seems the water lettuces've made a big mess out of it... and 1 red sakura is now huge! I'm hoping we have little baby shrimps soon coz I want more of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nepen, hope all is well and back in order for your tank. Much more stressful than mine, I just pulled out plants ... lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JB, please tell me there is no water in your tank, since you said you moved it? The point I'm making is it's so clear, and thinking maybe because no water in there. LOL If there is water, wow! And, if there is water, where in the danio?
Sunshine, what type of plants do you have in your tank? Looks like they were multiplying like crazy. The live plants I have and get, seems they barely survive. I do have one that was like a bulb, and it's growing really well, although it has some fuzzy dark green algae on it. Other plants all slowly died. Yours that looks like grass and muliplying, how do you get it to grow so well? Maybe you have a different substrate than rocks, which is what I have. Is your tank a 55 gal?
Hope all is back in order for you, Nepen!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB, please tell me there is no water in your tank, since you said you moved it? The point I'm making is it's so clear, and thinking maybe because no water in there. LOL If there is water, wow! And, if there is water, where in the danio?

There's water. I took 50% out when I moved it, then filled it again, but I've never had an issue with clarity, even when I had 4 fish in it. Rarely some algae grows on the walls, but that's about it. I couldn't tell you why, I know absolutely nothing about tanks.

and here's the Danio. it was darting around at the time so it was just a blurry streak.
IMG_6525_2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have Najas Grass and Sword Grass. I had a bunch of different plants when I first set it up, but they all died except the grasses. The tank is 220 gallons. I have black sand for the substrate. And LED lights. I have the the fuzzy algae also. Bought some Chinese algae eaters and snails, think I need more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to keep the grasses in check, they take over the tank. Kind of wish I wouldn't of got that kind now. But the fish love hiding in it. Nice tanks JB and Addy. Love looking at other tanks, get great ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Sunshine and CountryEscape, my tank is back to normal now. 2 of the guppies seem weird, hanging at the surface so I did the water test and everything's fine (Nitrate always high) so I'll have to keep an eye on them.. one is probably old, been acting weird for a week now, but one is only a few months old. I'll do water change soon to get the Nitrate down a bit.

Addy, how do you grow anacharis and hornwort in the tank!! I tried and they seem to just die off :(

JB, I figure that's the fish, but I didnt see your water line or the ripple so I wasnt sure there water in the tank. My tank's always clear too, no algae on the glass at all, dont know why. I'm actually thought that with the Nitrate constantly this high (in the 80~) there would've been lots of algae, and I would welcome it but it just never show up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nepen, I have two underwater led lights in the tank, the extra light may be what is helping it grow. I even have to control it since it grows so well. Some will be moved to the outside ponds once it warms up some.

I put a rubber band around clumps of it and anchor it down on some rocks in the tank

Ask a Question