How many have indoor tanks?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks countryescape and Tmann. I spent too much money on the shrimps already and only have 2 left I think. I saw one once in a while but the one kept hiding well (I have a habit of looking through the tank from the bottom and kinda find the shrimp that way). I will not get more shrimp until I can move the guppies in the big pond. Or may be I'll just get a small bowl for just shrimp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Lets see it all began with 5 young commons from a friend's pond...through a 29 gallon added.a 55 gallon then a moving parishioner gave me a pentagon 45 gallon with an albino clawed frog and 3 fancy goldfish which led to the 125 gallon and the pond for the original for the common goldies. I now have the pond, the 125 gallon with 5 fancies and the pentagon with the frog....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lets see it all began with 5 young commons from a friend's pond...through a 29 gallon added.a 55 gallon then a moving parishioner gave me a pentagon 45 gallon with an albino clawed frog and 3 fancy goldfish which led to the 125 gallon and the pond for the original for the common goldies. I now have the pond, the 125 gallon with 5 fancies and the pentagon with the frog....
lol it is called the addiction!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And I realized that when asked what kind of "pet" I wanted when I was maybe in about 3rd grade, I chose an aquarium. Siblings got guinea pig, hampster, and gerbil, and I got fish. I still love fish, aquariums, ponds, and ocean (scuba diver). Yes, it's definitely an addiction!

Reaction score
My first tanks (other than goldfish in bowls that parents buy for their kids) where in my mid-teens with 4 x 30"x15"x12" tanks in which I setup as 3 x community and a pair of Oscars in the fourth. The Oscars got traded back in at the LFS at the time for store credit as they soon outgrew that tank!!! Wasn't really until I got my own place that I got back heavily in to keeping fish again and ended up turning my living room in to a fish room (only other furniture at the time was a 3 seater sofa and the TV & stand!!!!). At that time I was breeding Discus and Corydoras sp. and supplying several LFS and fishkeepers with them and making a few quid on the side doing something I enjoyed. Had to knock it on the head though due to 4 children in quick succession (I blame not being able to see the TV because of the tanks!!!!), so for safety's sake, cleared all the tanks out (which gutted me as my pride & joy was a fully planted 400 Litre "Rio Negro" tank containing species from the Rio Negro in South America including several wild caught Discus that a fellow collector imported for me in one of his shipments). After my divorce from my first wife, I always said that I would have more tanks again but not on the scale as I did before (it was crazy with custom racking and filtration system in the living room supplying dozens literally of small 18"x12"x12" spawning & rearing on tanks) due to the price of electricity nowadays!!!

Roll on Autumn when I start my Discus tank project as my local shop has started doing their Discus again (used to drive 60 miles each way when they got new shipments in the past to see if anything was to my fancy before they went on general sale!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, I'm extremely impressed, VanDiesil. I have never had the guts to even try discus, I always heard they were very difficult to keep. I'd love to see pics of your tank set-up, if you have any from "the good ole days". :)

Reaction score
Wow, I'm extremely impressed, VanDiesil. I have never had the guts to even try discus, I always heard they were very difficult to keep. I'd love to see pics of your tank set-up, if you have any from "the good ole days". :)

I wish I did have pics from the past, but thanks to my ex-wife, I don't have anything left to remember the setups by other than a pair of Eheim Pro filters and metal halide lighting in the loft (and my memories). Once the Autumn/Winter comes, then the new project will go in to action.

Keeping Discus is not difficult at all. Keeping the water parameters right for them is the hardest part, and that depends on the local water supply on how much work that will be, as well as the conditions the fish you are buying have been kept in - most LFS will have a dedicated system for their Discus if they know what they are doing and advise you on the required water parameters before you buy. If your tap water is "soft", then it is easier than if it was "hard". I had a R/O Water unit installed at my old house so I had perfect water on tap, but buying R/O Water from LFS is not as expensive as it used to be (around here it is £2 for 25 litres - $3 USD for 5 UK/6 US Gallons roughly). 20% water change for a 500 litre costs £8 a week + the Rio Negro additive (turns the water a yellow tinge but is more natural to the Discus environment). Keeping Discus is only as hard as you make it. When I first got some Discus, I was of the thought that they were a massive step up from keeping a standard tropical community tank, but was pleasantly surprised. As long as you do a little bit of research first, there is nothing to be worried about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, do NOT get me started with discus! The local pet shops don't even stock them, never have. I think you are correct, they don't want to have a dedicated water system for them. They come in such brilliant colors, and seem to be so docile, but right now my community tropical tank is a joy to watch. The brackish tank, still having trouble with it being cloudy ... has been almost since the very beginning. My water is high in nitrates, which I did not know, and that's causing part of the cloudiness, I believe. Oh well ... maybe I will switch that tank back to another tropical one day.

Reaction score
Three indoor tanks and one pond , heres one of the tanks i made

Attachments

• IMG-20140920-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20140920-WA0001.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 239
  • CAM00111.jpg
    CAM00111.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 233
Reaction score
I just had the tank sitting there over night . I needed to see if the sealer was going its job and not raising my ph levels,,before i broke the other tank down ,,later i drained it and switched locations ,

Reaction score
Well things have changed slightly for me since I last posted in this thread. I have a 125 gallon with 1 large Oranda, 1 large Fantail, 2 small fantails, 2 medium yellow Tamasabas, a large pleco, and a Blue Crawfish. I also have a 40B with 2 small fantails and a bristlenose pleco, and a 20 long with 10 fry from the yellow tamasabas in it. Cant wait for them to get bigger. A couple of them have double tails, which I am happy about.

Ask a Question