HOW MUCH SPACE TO ALLOW ....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TurtleMommy, again:) Not sure how to title this one. Was measuring my turtle habitat this morning, and measured all the extra space I will have to work with for expanding, adding pond, etc. When I drew it all out, I ran into a problem: (well, not really a problem....just a question).

I haven't decided on the pond's dimensions yet. But what I was wondering is how much physical space should I allow around the perimeter of the pond? Remember that this is for my turtles, so the entire pond area will need to be enclosed within their habitat "fence," (which is 18" tall, with decking planks). Not talking about area for the filter -- I'm figuring that as a separate issue.

So for example, if the pond was in a box, and the pond was 3' x 4' (hypothetical size), what should the box dimensions be?

I'll have a fair amt. of freedom as far as space I can use. Hope this makes sense!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would make the perimeter at least 18"-2' all the way around, you'll want to leave enough room for the turtles to get out and sun bathe and enough room to be able to work on the pond from the edge. Even 2' is small but workable,

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Never having kept tortoises, I'm no expert, but having seem them in various zoos I believe they like to roam. If you have the space, I'd say bigger is better. John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haro, you are correct! I just posted a little schematic on the POND TALK (or whatever it's called) area. The turtles already have a HUGE habitat area (and the girls will have a separate place by spring), so this spot for the pond is just that: a spot for the pond. In the wild boxies have their little territories that they roam around in, but now MINE will have running water as well as separate bedrooms!

Mainly I guess what I was asking about was how much room should I allow to allow ME access to stuff, and so it doesn't look too cramped up. The perimeter fencing isn't an option, but the overall space is something I can play with a little bit.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you're talking of getting up near the pond to clean and re-arrange plants or whatever, I think two feet would be the absolute minimum, three feet would give you a bit of space to maneuver. John

Reaction score
M,

The larger you can make the "terrestrial" portion or dryland area for the turtles and you, the better. The larger you can make the "aquatic" world for the fish and the turtles, the better. For you to work in the whole thing, I think Haro is about right. A two foot area is limiting. Especially if you get some plants growing in there and other aesthetic additions. It may allow you some room to get in there and work, but you might be a bit cramped. Three feet would be better and if you can afford even more space to make the whole thing larger, without going overboard on expense, I think that I would.

Try sketching it all out to scale on the ground as a simulation and then try walking around on the simulation to see how it feels to you. Do you feel cramped and limited? If yes, then try to enlarge it a bit more.

Gordy

Ask a Question