How often to clean my filters?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Try looking into getting a pressure filter, super easy and fast to clean. My pressure filter then splits into two large bin filters full of biomedia that I never cleaned. So maintenance for me is once a week, 1 minute twisting the handle and I'm done.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks!

I'm honestly not a fan of UV in a pond - to me, it's like over-using antibiotics: it kills the stuff you're targeting, but it takes a lot of the good stuff with it. But that's just one opinion, and admittedly not an educated one - I know people use them and swear by them. I'm glad it works for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is 1500 gallons and is overstocked with about 30 fish. Koi, goldfish and shubunkin. Six of the koi are quite large at about 20".
I usually clean when the outlet pressure reduces.
One of my setups is a submerged pump feeding a pressure filter with a UV exiting over my waterfall. I remove this setup for the winter because I don't want the water from the falls being pumped on top of a frozen pond.
In the spring it gets reinstalled. There is a period of a month or so where this setup gets clogged quickly until everything gets balanced and caught up. During this time I clean the filter pads and the pump inlet holes when I notice the pressure reducing. Usually once a week. Eventually, with the filter running and all the plants starting to establish, the time between cleanings becomes once every 2-3 weeks or if I see the pressure reduce.
My second filter runs 24-7, 365. It is a bucket with a pump on the inside bottom covered with lava rocks. The outlet of the pump is a piece of 3/4" PVC that protrudes out of the bucket and stops just below the water surface creating my fountain. When I see the height of the fountain reduce, I pull the bucket and rinse everything out.
I also have aeration that runs 24-7, 365.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Every now and then our ponds may need some outside assistance from us.
On my indoor 600g aquarium, I'm using humic substances (the stuff that gives water a tea coloured appearance) to help with water quality, but things got to a point where the bacteria consumed all the humic substances and I couldn't make up for it quick enough so suspended algae took over and degraded water quality to the point where I lost some fish.
I've purchased a basic Laguna pressurized filter with UV to help with water quality until I can get the humic substance level back up to where the water is healthy again.

Ask a Question