How to Keep Your Waterfall Clean

Reaction score
How do keep your waterfalls clean?

I've been having a problem with string algae. My orange and yellow flagstones are covered with green algae. Long tangling strands also obstruct the flowing water. The water doesn't flow so much as it drips down these green strands.

From time to time, I have turned off the waterfall and used an old toothbrush to brush off the stones. Since my yard gets a lot of sun, it doesn't seem to take long for the algae to grow back.

Does anyone have a constructive suggestion as to how I can keep my waterfall clean without using chemicals that might affect my fish and plants?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Chef Dave
In my experience, the string algae will take care of itself in time. Is this a new pond or your pond from before you moved? I always remove the excess by hand untill it settles down and goes away on it's own. If the water is flowing in your waterfall, how is it being reduced? I would think it is passing over it.
Can you post a photo?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
sorry i dont have an answer for you dave, but i do have exactly the same problem ....and yes it does slow down the flow and i have to be carefull the basin above the waterfall doesnt over flow because of it ...its nice to see im not the only one with this problem my pond is also in full sun ...still strange its only where there is flowing water and around my airstones where there is moving water the rest of my pond is clear i too scrub it off but i find it very hard to remove as it really clings to the rocks !!

Reaction score
Hmm I had some stringy green algea on my waterfall this summer but I guess the 2 barley bails in the filter kept it in check.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I don't know if this helps. My pond and stream are in full sun. I turn the water flow off for a couple of hours and the sun drys some of the string algae. I find it is easier to clean off when dry.

Ask a Question