How to protect against owls?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I TOTALLY sympathize with you, Cardinal! Some time over the last 2 days, my largest goldie who we named "big daddy" (still small at only about 4 inches) whom I have had for the last 4 years went missing =( He was a bright and a very noticable pale peach color (especially compared to the other plain jane goldies we have), and stood out pretty prominently in my tiny pond. All the rest of the fish are completely spooked as well.

I know we have a raccoon or two in the forest behind my house and some foxes, a stray cat, and are regularly visited by a brown hawk of some sort that likes to pick off the doves one by one. I have NO IDEA who the culprit was in this case. I don't think it's the raccoon because nothing was amiss or knocked over in the rest of the pond and we haven't seen any since shortly after we moved here a year ago.

The fish already have a cave of sorts to hide in (a strawberry pot tucked under our waterfall) and they regularly make use of it, but still, this happened. We just covered the pond with some wire mesh held down by rocks. Not sure if that will do anything other than serve as an eyesore. That will have to do until the floating plants and lilies grow in and give better cover.

Addy, I didn't know about Valley View farms! Will DEFINITELY have to make a trip up there to check 'er out!

Reaction score
They are sooooooooooo smart. They use tools to figure out how to get what they want like food etc.

They definitely are brilliant, but that doesn't make their KAW KAW KAW KAW KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW noise less irritating, it also freaks my poor kitty out, albeit not as much as the mean magpies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm so used to it now they don't bother me and my cat deserves getting yelled at by them too cuz she is a bird murderer. I put bells up the ying yang on her and she still catches them. She is a hunter to the nth degree. If you try and make her stay indoors she will pee on everything and yell and scream till you go insane. My other cat never catches any at all and they are sisters. I thought about trimming her nails but then she would have no defense against something coming in our yard to get her. She can't leave our yard. Poor birds tho that enter her domain :(

Reaction score
I'm so used to it now they don't bother me and my cat deserves getting yelled at by them too cuz she is a bird murderer. I put bells up the ying yang on her and she still catches them. She is a hunter to the nth degree. If you try and make her stay indoors she will pee on everything and yell and scream till you go insane. My other cat never catches any at all and they are sisters. I thought about trimming her nails but then she would have no defense against something coming in our yard to get her. She can't leave our yard. Poor birds tho that enter her domain :(

Im guessing my kitty must have threatened the magpies young or the magpie is just a jerk. I mean he even lands on the neighbors rooftop and screeches at my kitty all day....he even lands on the fence and screeches at the kitty. The kitty thinks he is stealthy and lays flat on the ground hoping he will be left alone. We usually chase the magpie's away because they try to attack him in his own yard

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh he is a boy. I called him a her in another thread. Please beg your cute Mr Kitty's pardon for me :)

Reaction score
ahead of time Mars in case talal your servant forgets to mention it again

well that pretty much settles it, you have an emoticon for EVERYTHING, I LOVE IT!!! Thank you addy and you couldn't be more right, dogs aim to please their owners....cats have to be pleased or you won't be happy.....my cat even sulks around all day if we don't let him outside and is constantly going in and out....what a pain. He even has facial expressions and you can tell everything he's thinking, its really cute actually.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I didn't do it jw did! We have our baby missy, no cat

20130628_134737a.jpg
missy1.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
well that pretty much settles it, you have an emoticon for EVERYTHING, I LOVE IT!!! Thank you addy and you couldn't be more right, dogs aim to please their owners....cats have to be pleased or you won't be happy.....my cat even sulks around all day if we don't let him outside and is constantly going in and out....what a pain. He even has facial expressions and you can tell everything he's thinking, its really cute actually.

Yep talal it was me and I have 2 kitty sisters that hate each other:
IMG_3796.JPG

Reaction score

Ask a Question