How to protect against owls?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have had a fish pond for ten yrs. Two weeks ago a fish was missing each day. Set up a security camera and lo and behold it was an owl. Put up an electric wire grid to deter him (low voltage), but as he would need to be grounded and hitting the wire at the same time that hasn’t worked. Lost another fish last night to the same owl. Will try owl statue but also a wood cover under the wire over part of the fence. Maybe work on a pretty covering later this summer. 🤞🤞

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, hopefully this isn't a stupid question but where does one buy a fake owl? Is there anything else that helps? I looked closely at my fish today and realized that some new additions are missing. I added in some fancy goldfish this past weekend, and it looks like they are all gone. I suppose one or two might be hiding, but I think its unlikely. So frustrating.

As for the nets, I don't really have the ability to do a raised net, but I could fashion some type of netting on top of the actual ponds. What type of netting works, and where can I buy it?

Thanks for all the help!
Amazon, Walmart, the Fish Guy, lots of places sell fake owls and other birds such as Herons to ward them away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
tree welcome.gif
@Chris fish mom
Sad for your fish, hope you get a good something to protect your fish from that hungry owl!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You could buy the fake owl from wal mart, they are I believe around $20. But as J.W has said, a net across the top is probably your best bet. You could also make a mini cave where they will sleep at night. My last pond had a stupid shell ornament bubbler with a mini cave under and all 10 goldfish hid inside that tiny cave at night lol.
So I made a cave today. How do I encourage my fish to go in it? So far they’ve shown no interest.

Ask a Question