How to start building a pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Huy Truong If you will do a search of GPF and/or just do a Google search about pond edgings. There are so many different techniques and ways to go about it — the possibilities are endless. And that’s another reason to keep asking for pictures of the space where the pond will go — also shots of the surrounding area, like patio, etc. Although it’s not mandatory, many people like to match decors and that could help you make a decision on what edging to go with. Whatever you go with, be sure that you won’t have the pond edge at or below the level of your yard — you don’t want ground water free-flowing into your pond.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We want to build a pond, but we are unsure of where to start. We have a relatively small backyard, but we want a comparatively large pond. We were thinking about building a circular pond, with the deepest parts being 3 feet deep, and the circle is cut into two kidney shapes, separated by an island with a bench in the middle and a shallow strip of water connecting the two sides around the island with a stepping path to cross to the island. Will water just one or two inches deep be enough to separate the two sides? We were wondering if on one side we could keep native fish and on one side ornamental goldfish. This brings me to my next question, if we wanted to attract wildlife and make the fish population on the native side relatively self-sufficient, what type of fish should we include? We were looking into sunfish, but how many and is that a good idea? We are looking for plants and animals native to north Texas. Thank you, we need help on how to make the island, the two sides, the organisms, and just how a pond works in general, so if someone could also explain oxygenation, filtration, etc. that would be great. We are looking at using a corner of our backyard, is 13 by 13 feet big enough for the whole pond?
Start with Youtube. Aquascape, the Pond digger, the Pond Guru etc. They all explain everything you will need to know and give great ideas. They can be a bit heavy on using the most expensive products but really good for the basics. The biggest mistake I made years ago was not putting in fish caves when building. I lost most of my fish that first year. Make it deep enough for your area. I'm in Australia and only get a few sheets of ice in winter but summer they would boil if it were too shallow. I wouldn't put the 2 ponds near each other and expect no crossing over of fish. Transfer can happen from predators too even if the ponds aren't physically connected. Wildlife will come for that natural look. We have frogs, Kookaburras, deadly Red Belly Black Snakes, feral cats. Many birds bathing in the shallows and a Koala I call Fred. The best thing is enjoy the journey. I'm presently building my 8th pond.

Ask a Question