How would I fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
i made this secondary water garden/waterfall. I have a 700 gallon pond with a 600 gph pump. The hose is probably running 8/9 feet. The water coming from the waterfall is puny and I want to make it better. How can I do so? Do I just need a new pump or what. Here are some photos. Ps it is in the midst of remodeling so excuse the algae. Nor is it finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 197

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! A hose will only carry so much water, you might want to run some pipes in place of it. 1.5-2 inch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
For a decent flow over the waterfall weir requires 100 gph to 150 gph per inch of weir width. So, in your case you will need 1200 gph to 1800 gph.
You need a larger pump!
1800 gph pump on a 700 gallon pond, sounds more like he needs a bigger pond! Should be interesting.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
1800 gph pump on a 700 gallon pond, sounds more like he needs a bigger pond! Should be interesting.

I completely agree/ This would not be a potential problem if this was a Decorative (Formal) Water Feature,, but with fish it is a different set of rules.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What are the downsides to doing this with fish
The initial potential issue is that with a flow rate better than 2.5 times the pond's volume a current would be created in the pond of a high enough velocity to quickly tire the fish. Although most fish ion the Carp family can handle considerable water velocity, it is only temporary as the remainder of the time they will be in the shallows or at the bottom where the current is considerable less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
have you cleaned the pump inlet? there seem to be some thing wrong with the pump pressure , the dripping water do not look like 600G/h at all! can be ur hose is too long or clogged , can be ur waterfall design leaking water from sides or under the flagstone , dont place flagstone just like that , the water shouldfall on the flagstone try to seal the end of liner to it , liner should come over stone that will push water over it and you need to narrow the waterfall if ur not getting proper flow , i have one smaller waterfall with 2200L/h and its showing very nice 1ft waterfall from 1.5ft height

1st take out pump and clean it , dont place pump at the bottom try to place pump near the surface that will increase flow , then get a 4 ft new pipe and place it in ur bog to see if pressure increases , last thing u need to redesign the waterfall make it 6 inch higher and as i have explained above .

if no improvement then replace the pump

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
there seem to be some thing wrong with the pump pressure , the dripping water do not look like 600G/h at all

I was thinking the same thing - while you may actually need a bigger pump, it doesn't seem like your current pump is working at anywhere near 600 GPH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
will be fishes in a washing machine lol i think some error in his system atm, 600G/h shud b more then enuf if proper pressure it wud b hard to handle in this size of pond , one disadvantage can be... too much flow , the water may get cloudy easily too much stirring if he dsnt have good mechanical filter .otherwise more flow is good for carp koi , not good for fancy goldfish .

Ask a Question