HTH Test Strips for Pools

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello all,
1) Is it ok to use the test strips for pools/spas?
2) My pond has been in for about a half a month now~ has all 3 types of levels for plants, (floating, marginal and deep), has a PondMaster 1500 filter and pre-filter, (has a fountain off of the pump in the deep end). It is about 16'X8'X19" with shelves about half way around the perimeter. The two deep pools are 19" each and about 2.5 feet diameter. I have about 15 Reds and one 4" fish that I was given-- I think it is a goldfish??? And I have a goose that swims daily in the pond but just for no more than 10 min. once a day.
I tested again today and here is what I have:
Hardness-0
Free chlorine-0
pH-7.2
TA-40
CYA-0
I also did the KH = 2

3) The water is fairly clear but green now, and there is sediment or material on the liner under the water. I clean the filter once a week and skim with a pool net daily to remove leaves, etc.

How is this to be interpreted? Is this normal for what I want? (Plants and some small fish) What should I do....?
Please advise~
Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
1) You need to use a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so those won't work. You'll need to go to a pet/fish store to get it, or online.

2) I would discourage the goose from getting into the pond at all.

3) I don't think your Pondmaster 1500 is adequate for your pond. That thing looks like it's only good for about 400g. Based on your dimensions, your pond =< 1440g. But you have plants, which help. Also, 19" seems shallow for OR. Will it ice over in S. OR? If you clean your filter each week, ensure that you don't use water with chlorine in it. The amount of fish in your pond is fine.

Reaction score
The problem with finding good digital equipment is that everyone will give competing opinions!! So, do your best to sift through all of the nonesense to make a good decision. I have had good luck with the Martini pH 56, but there have been others that have not had good luck with them.

The diode is the component that is the brains of these devices. If the diode is starting too fail, then the rest of the device becomes quite irrelevant. Proper storage ensure the diodes are hydrated and keeps its accuracy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got the API test kit that has the test tubes, with various solutions dropped into the water for all the tests. Is there a high margin of error with the results? (I got results of pH 7.2 and the rest were negative.)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Kristi Kelty said:
I got the API test kit that has the test tubes, with various solutions dropped into the water for all the tests. Is there a high margin of error with the results? (I got results of pH 7.2 and the rest were negative.)

I'd say the accuracy is around " +/- .2 " points, which is fine and much better than test strips. Also, assuming you are good at matching the colors.

As far as "test strips for pools/spas", I would just use it for the chlorine tester, that is if I had that worry.

Reaction score
stive951 said:
The problem with finding good digital equipment is that everyone will give competing opinions!! So, do your best to sift through all of the nonesense to make a good decision. I have had good luck with the Martini pH 56, but there have been others that have not had good luck with them.

The diode is the component that is the brains of these devices. If the diode is starting too fail, then the rest of the device becomes quite irrelevant. Proper storage ensure the diodes are hydrated and keeps its accuracy.
Hey man your first post is an exact copy and paste of something one of our other posters wrote a while back. Whats the deal?

Ask a Question