Huge pecs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My breeding male Shubunkin has very large pectoral fins. Never noticed this on any of the other large males..any ideas please.
20190710_094740.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Genetic variation, many fish bred for long fins leading to many differences in fish even from the same spawn, same as color variations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, gotcha! Right, like @JRS said just a different variation. I've seen the same thing in our regular old goldfish - same hatching will get us long fins, short fins, and everything in between! Personally I love the long finned looks. So pretty when they swim!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry folks. I don't think I've been clear enough. If you look at the photo you can see his right fin. If you are able to enlarge it you will see the ...how can i put this....the 'arm' the fin would flow from/front of the fin is huge, bulbous looking. It's the same on the left also. This photo may show better
20190710_174450.jpg
.x.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Looking a bit red and inflamed? Some type of infection starting perhaps. How is your water quality? Done any testing lately?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I honestly can't really clearly see your photo. But my best guess is that you have a male with breeding stars. They can be found on gill covers, pectoral fins (leading ray) and sometimes even on the body.

Reaction score
Take a look around for carp pox images to see if that looks anything like what your shub has.

It does look like its under the skin though on your shib... vs carp pox (from what i've seen on one of my koi) looks like it's on top.

Ask a Question