Huge UVC unit

Reaction score
Browsing our local version of what you Americans would call craigs list, I stumbled on this behemoth of an UV-C unit:

1088068814.jpg

Its a "YAMITSU ALGAE MASTER". 4x 30W, although one lamp is apparently out of order and needs some fixing of the electric contacts. Still, for the price of just 50 euro, it seems like Id be an idiot not to go get it for my ~15K gallon pond?

I dont have green water (yet!), I currently have a 35W unit that probably makes no difference at all with my size pond, and I do have algae growth on the bottom that floats to the surface looking like brown foam during day and sinks again at night; I dont expect UVC will help against that, but it seems a good idea to have it to kill bacteria and parasites too. no?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow that is huge! and should do a good job and yes you did right by snapping it up!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Holy pond equipment Batman...................that thing is gigantuous :lol:

Reaction score
Turns out its not as big as it looks on the photo. Seller says its about 1m long (~3 foot). Ill probably go get it next week if I find a cheap source for uv lamps.

Reaction score
i must be honest in saying that looks rediculous. Its four old UV units plumbed into a lump.

For the price it is certainly is a bargain, but id image a modern high flow capacity 55w unit will be just as effective in terms of exposure of the UV rays to the water.

Make sure when you get it to take out the quartz sleaves and give them a good clean, along with the internal casings. Check the seals whilst doing this.

What is the plumbing inlet/outlet size, and intended flowrate to do this large area of water?

Reaction score
I dont think its gonna win a design award :(, but it makes sense to split the flow over 4 lamps. You have 1/4th the flow in each pipe or 4x the exposure time for a given flow without restricting throughput. The entire unit is rated for ponds up to 20.000 gallon. Dont know about rated flow, but I would be feeding it ca 10.000L (~2500 gallon) hour, though I could halve or double that depending which pumps I attach. It has 80mm connection.

I just found a place where they still sell them:
http://www.aquamania.co.uk/product....ageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=156

435 UK pound. Hardly proof of anything, but its probably not rubbish at that price.

Ask a Question