Huricane Irma

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_7065.JPG
IMG_7064.JPG
IMG_7066.JPG
Hi guys, Ive been a member here for about 6 months, but have yet to post. Hurricane Irma is enroute, but we are still 24-48 hours out from the bad part in our area in southeast Georgia. I have 6 little .30cent comets in this small pond (since March 2017). We have a mutual relationship of I feed and maintain them, and they provide me with fertilized water. Love/Hate mutual relationship, and I have yet to have to by any fertilizer for all my gardens. Anyways, we've had a heat wave here since spring and I have not secured the bricks surrounding their structure. The house blocked from one direction, but not generally the direction of winds (Hurricane Matthew). I can only see three options
1. Reduce water to lower level, to avoid over-flooding, but risk winds.
2. Move them to a 20 gallon "Hospital" tank in the garage, but risk shock
3. Prepare "Hospital" tank, but leave them outside. If it looks like the wind is getting to strong, catch them and bring to Hospital Tank. (They are free-loaders, so easy to catch)

I know they are only $1.80 of investment, but they are my freeloaders. :( Any suggestions would be appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Since you only have 6 I'd put them in the tank using the pond water so should not be a shock other than the catching and release and strange new home for them. You could leave them out there lowering the water in the pond, see how it goes and then bring them in but easier on you to just bring them in now instead of having to do it all in a mad storm. Best of luck and I hope you make it through this thing alive and still w/a home. I would do the same for my freeloaders :joyful:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If they're easy to catch, maybe purchase a minnow trap or cage, place them in there and secure it to the bottom of the pond.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice pond. What is the black cover/shelter? Do you think the winds are going to be strong enough to move the bricks by the time it gets to you? I hope it survives unscathed but having a backup plan is always a good idea in these circumstances. Set up the hospital tank and play it by ear as it approaches your area, though if winds are strong enough to harm the pond you probably shouldn't be out in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. Good luck riding out the storm. It sounds like there are several viable options. My guess is they will be fine where they are at. Moving them might provide more of a shock than the actual storm. I know the harder the rain the more fun my fish have swimming around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Whichever you choose, I hope it doesn't involve going out during the storm! I have a feeling your fish will be fine - to them it's just more water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_7120.JPG
Thanks for the quick suggestions. Due to worries with the electricity and the extreme drop in temperature it seemed the best choice to pull them. Last night, I sat the tank with 1/4 their water on side of pond, and introduced them early this morning. Couple hours later, pulled the free-loaders out. Worked like a charm and only required less then 20 minute investment of time. Even had time to pull some of there donated creature comforts. Weather is rainy here and few spurts of high wind. Nothing to shake a fist at yet. I don't know anyone else here, but I frequently read yalls post to aid my free-loaders in their tax free life :) Thanks again for the advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel the same way about my feeders as my fancy goldfish. Why haven't you got any fertilized water yet ? Your potted plant next to pond looks amazing !!! Good luck with storm

Ask a Question