j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow hope mine get that big @Gemma . Mine are just a few yrs old and a couple are prolly 6" right now. They love their food and even fed them some dry cat food which they gobbled up! Yours are beauties!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your shubunkins are beautiful :love:
Thank you!
I read somewhere that you lost all of your fish, I wasn't around much when that happened just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss:(
Did you start over after that or quit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thak you Gemma :) That was a couple years ago and yes, I restocked the pond (all goldfish as the pond is only 500 gallons, too small for koi) The fish in the pond now are doing great.

Also built another smaller above ground pond (220 gallons) that is stocked with some fancy goldfish (mostly oranda) Hoping they prove hardy enough to be outside during the winter. They did great over the summer, even had a baby :D (I have several aquariums and fancy goldfish in the house for many years and never had babies)

Would love to have a bigger pond someday so that I can have some koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thak you Gemma :) That was a couple years ago and yes, I restocked the pond (all goldfish as the pond is only 500 gallons, too small for koi) The fish in the pond now are doing great.

Also built another smaller above ground pond (220 gallons) that is stocked with some fancy goldfish (mostly oranda) Hoping they prove hardy enough to be outside during the winter. They did great over the summer, even had a baby :D (I have several aquariums and fancy goldfish in the house for many years and never had babies)

Would love to have a bigger pond someday so that I can have some koi.
I love Oranda! I used to have a few indoor tanks (mostly Chiclids) before the outdoor pond and I always had a cold tank for fancy goldfish
When we built the pond I tried the Oranda outside but they were way too slow to compete at feeding time and every time it stormed I'd find them in the skimmer box, so I got rid of them and got Shubunkins

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't currently have cichlids but I have had some in the past (frontosa, brichardi, lemon yellows, bumblee, and a few others) Beautiful hardy fish, they were much easier to keep then the fancy goldfish. At one point I wanted to downsize the number of tanks I had and decided to keep the goldies and rehome the cichlids. Just didn't have the time to care for all of them.

The only fancy goldfish in my pond are fantails. The rest are either inside or in the raised pond. Keeping my fingers crossed they do well over the winter. I have a pond de-icer going and the top is covered with polycarbonate roof panels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Frontosa was one of my favorites! :)

I hope your fish do good through the winter, I know what it's like to lose fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I love Oranda! I used to have a few indoor tanks (mostly Chiclids) before the outdoor pond and I always had a cold tank for fancy goldfish
When we built the pond I tried the Oranda outside but they were way too slow to compete at feeding time and every time it stormed I'd find them in the skimmer box, so I got rid of them and got Shubunkins

My oranda experience. If it’s stunted it will struggle... if the back fin is next to the wen it’s stunted.. Head to body ratio tells you about how stunted it is.

My giant oranda is now 8” head to tail and hasn’t come inside since I got it three years ago.

One of my Orandas is stunted... something I did not know about till later.. it has come in two years in a row.

Ask a Question