I am back with a new question!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn’t always riddled with so much indecision! There was a time in my life where I could make a decision without any concern as to whether the decision was right or wrong. However, I am no longer able to make hasty decisions. I have wanted a pond in my back yard for at least 25 years, but I have never had the opportunity to make it happen. I don’t want to have to do the job twice, I want an end result that works and will stand the test of time. My daughter and I are building a pond in our backyard. We have been planning the project for a while. I have finally decided on the liner, a Firestone 45 mil epdm liner, and a Geotextile underlayment. At the end of the day the pond will be about 4500 gallons including the bog area. I would like a spillway between the bog and pond. Now I have to decide on what size/type skimmer and spillway to purchase. After my last post, I decided on a skimmer per the suggestions of members that were kind enough to give me guidance. There are so many skimmer and spillway options I don't even know where to start. I want quality item that will last and serve the purpose without a lot of headache. I don't mind spending money on equipment that will last and do the job, but I don’t see the need to buy overbuilt or overpriced equipment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your advice and patience. I will likely have other questions. I want to make good choices that provide my future fish with a lovely long lasting home.
Since I plan on using a bog and skimmer, will I need any additional filtration? I have successfully kept saltwater fish, coral and 6 children alive for years. I feel like I have the capacity to keep a pond alive if given appropriate guidance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since I plan on using a bog and skimmer, will I need any additional filtration?
I use just a bog for filtration, it filters 5 main ponds and 5 stream, deck ponds. I have a skimmer, no pump installed. My pump is external.
My bog is around 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the pond. Surface area.
The skimmer is mainly to remove the apple flowers and any leaves that fall into the pond. Also adds some circulation to the far end of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have been very happy with my Helix skimmer. Expensive, but safe for the fish. The new pond I'm planning will have an intake bay, rather than a skimmer. It serves the same purpose, but is a little more natural looking and (I think) no-fuss maintenance. I can't wait to see pictures of what you do with your new pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No skimmer or spillway here. My pond is built a bit differently than many - we have a negative edge that flows into a rain exchange. And the bog just flows over a rock to empty into a pool which feeds the waterfall. I guess my point is - there's lots more decisions than you even thought possible!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Just make a spillway with rock and waterfall foam.
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
No skimmer or spillway here. My pond is built a bit differently than many - we have a negative edge that flows into a rain exchange. And the bog just flows over a rock to empty into a pool which feeds the waterfall. I guess my point is - there's lots more decisions than you even thought possible!
You are absolutely correct about too many choices, I was hoping to narrow down my choices.

Ask a Question