I am closing my pond and would like to give away the fish

Reaction score
I just checked the map and it's 150 miles, which is ok with me. I can take my daughter and enjoy the coast for a bit before coming to get the fish and plants. It'll be great to spend time with her, as she is on vacation right now. So I will commit to this in an open forum, kinda to put a seal on the deal. Probably sometime next week would work for me...what you think?

susan

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone that has replied but Susan from Kern County was the first to respond and I promised everything to her. She is willing to drive down here to pick everything up and has the facilities to handle all the fish.

Thank you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear they are getting a good home and maybe Susan will share pictures w/ us when she gets them to their new home.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'll be sharing with some pics! But they will be living in a 100 gal tank for the winter...I'm still beautifying my new pond anyways, right now.

Thank you Markus,
Susan

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Susan Wrote:
But they will be living in a 100 gal tank for the winter..

Well I am glad they are getting a new home
But I think you will need bigger tank for all those goldfish or a lot of filtration and 75% water changes every other day at least
Plus they will be really crowded.
Are you coming in a truck by chance I have a big pond liner that I think is 220 G that you can have if you want it.
If you do I could meat you on the way down or the way back and get it to you if you need it.

Ruben M.

Reaction score
Oh Ruben, how thoughtful and nice of you to make me that offer. I do have an additional 50 gallon tank, and even a third 35 gal. I have three canister filters...a fluval and two eheims, one has a built in heater and I have four more heaters. I've never kept fish as a hobbie, only my turtles were kept in the tanks. So I didn't realize the big tank would be too small...but I would have quickly found out, I'm sure. good thing I do have the extra room for all the :goldfish: .
But now i'm a little concerned about how many rubbermaid big bins I need to transport the fish and plants. I do have a truck...it's a Nissan Frontier, but it should be big enough. But, maybe I should take you up on your offer for the liner. I don't want them to get too cold, would that help keep them warm if I put it over the top, add a tarp and tye it down? Gee, I better think about this before I head that way, huh? I have some extra liner, too. But, I don't think it's as big, but I don't really know either. How many bins do you think I should take? I have about 6 bins that are 20 x 15 x 15 inches, but will get more if i should.

How can I hook up an electric blanket :blueflower: ?? :cheerful:

Reaction score
I'm going to move my turtles back to the bathroon tub, but i think they like it better in the tub anyways. They love it everytime i go in that room. sometimes (alot of times) i go in the bathroom just to watch them. i know turtles don't do much...but neither do fish, and don't you all love to just watch your fish........................................swim around? :yellowbounce: :yellowbounce: :yellowbounce:

Reaction score
LOL... I have multi tanks between the family room and kitchen and spend a lot of time with the fishies!

Yes, a 100 gallon tank may be a bit crowded, but it sounds like you have enough filtration on hand to handle the load. IF using new water, cycling may be a bit hairy, and you may want to test often, prepared for partial water changes IF NEEDED...

Our 55 gallon tank presently has 27 fish in it, which average about 3" now. (As they get larger, I am moving some to other areas). I feel that I am pushing my luck with this tank! but so far, so good. I was using a plastic kiddie pool that was only holding 65-70 gallons of water... I moved the fish, their water and their filters (aquaclear 70/300 and a whisper-i) so the filters (bacteria) have grown with them.,, I was expecting the ammonia/nitrites to spike, and the ammonia did come up to almost .25, but is now at zero again... so far, no nitrite spike, still reading zero... no water changes, but I do add new water weekly for evaporation.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Susan
The pond liner I am talking about is this
Prefab.JPG
I picked it up when I redid the lower pond it has no leaks but I doubt you could get it in a explorer.
But it would be perfect for the fish until your pond is done.

In transport bins will be fine.
if you can transport in there pond water (If it is good quality) would be great.
I think you are on a 3 hour trip so in those size bins I think you would be good with 3 per container for the adults.
And the babies you should be able to double that for the trip.
I would not worry about heating them as they are cold water fish and are used to the temps
The plants I would put in a separate bag or box and just keep them moist/wet.

I would also recommend that if they are still feeding that they stop feeding 2 or 3 days before you pick them up.
This will help in transport and them not pooping in the little container.

Oh I have Turtles to and my big koi just push them aside but since I have had turttles I have not seen a baby where before I had them.
So it is good that you will keep them separated as in tight corders the turtles good cause some damage.

With all those extra tanks and filtration you should be in good shape try to get them setup and circulating before you get back
And as Capewind said do a lot of testing as everything cycles.

Ruben

Reaction score
I think I got things pretty much covered. Markus helped me out with knowing how we can do this. Everthing is good and easy enough to do, so I'm looking forward to adopting and adding on to my water loving family. Still, very gratefull for the offer to help, thank you Ruben.

As far as having little baby fishee's, I notice the mosquito babies are always up in the bog area, so maybe baby goldies will end up there too. The turtles aren't allowed in the bog, and don't even know it's there. If they did...well that's where they would decide to live, and would care less about the pond I built..... where they could live. That is the whole reason I decided to build a pond....for my turtles would have the best part of life spent while living out the rest of their years. Oh, I think I just got a little choked up for a sec...

Ask a Question