I Am Lazy Why Not Test Strips ?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I have read here over and over not to use test strips, but use liquid test. Both are made by same company API. Other then strips not checking ammonia levels why not ? Strips are so much easier.
I've found most industries use strips for many types of testing. PH, moisture, you get a reading, that's all they want.
For sale: API pond master kit.... used twice!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There's a new testing service available in Colorado where you can mail in a water sample and you will receive the test results back for elements (not compounds) found in your water:
https://www.icp-analysis.com

Only this lab does not test for pesticides, herbicides, VOCs, pharma or any other man-made potentially toxic.chemicals.
The heavy metals that a pondowner should be concerned about (Copper, Zinc, and maybe Iron) that this lab does test for can be tested with individual OTC tests, some even with test strips.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Only this lab does not test for pesticides, herbicides, VOCs, pharma or any other man-made potentially toxic.chemicals.
The heavy metals that a pondowner should be concerned about (Copper, Zinc, and maybe Iron) that this lab does test for can be tested with individual OTC tests, some even with test strips.
Right, no compounds.
It's a reasonable price for the elements, I think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Personally, I would want a baseline from a lab for my source and pond or aquarium water, then test for individual elements as any concerns came up.
Maybe have a repeat lab test done every 6 months or so.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Personally, I would want a baseline from a lab for my source and pond or aquarium water, then test for individual elements as any concerns came up.
Maybe have a repeat lab test done every 6 months or so.

I agree, but I would opt for a complete baseline palette that included all of the chemical and organic compounds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've checked around here a bit and found quotes for a complete baseline test runs about $200 - $325.
-vs the element-only test is $30.
What are the prices like in the US?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've checked around here a bit and found quotes for a complete baseline test runs about $200 - $325.
-vs the element-only test is $30.
What are the prices like in the US?

Comparable.
I used this type of testing service once several years ago when a customer really wanted to know what killed her fish so she could be more proactive in the future. Fairly comprehensive testing. The lab tested for, what appeared to me, everything. As it turns out, this was the client that had the CyHv3 outbreak. Different lab determined that. Overall this client spent better than $500 in testing to determine what was wrong. For the average pondkeeper who wants to more about the chemical make-up of their pond's water,, along side the standard liquid test kit, I would recommend the all-in-one Heavy Metals test kit. These can be purchased at the link provided in post #21.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Hey I test my pond every morning AND evening...... Anybody know how many drops go in a moisture test vial?

Ask a Question