Lazy Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Guys,

I've got a general question about a new behaviour i've just noticed in my Koi.

One Koi in particular, the biggest one in the pond, 40cm+, has taken to resting for part of the day. He's picks shallow water near the edge of the pond, normally behind a plant basket, and then just sits there for a couple of hours. He swims around quite normally for the rest ofthe time, eats well, and looks healty, but this 'taking a nap' is something new. Has anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour?

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Andy i might be nothing but it could indicate a problem , when he's down are his finns clamped how long hs this behavour been going on mate?
Have you noticed any problems with his swimming is he rocking from side to side, any stress signes etc , what are your currect water perameters , have you done a water change or filter maintenance of late since comming out of winter ?
It may be nothing but its best to check .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Dave,

I should have known you'd be the first to reply! Nice to hear from you again. :)

So, to answer your questions :

1. Finns look normal. He just sits there, but swims away if i get too close.
2. I noticed it first about 2 weeks ago. He does it a few times a day that i've noticed.
3. No signs of distress.
4. I changed the filter this year and installed a gravel filter. It works great. Can't see how it could impact the pond at all.
5. Water check (Test stripes... yeah, i know, ill get myself a proper kit soon!) says everything is ok.

cheers,

Andy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cant seem to access your photo's mate try posting them again , how did you know I'd be first to answer is it we who have lived in Plyouth must stick together :D
Biting at the bit to get te damn covers off permanently here but as usual we seem to be lacking in something "the Sun though its quite mild its not warm enouth just yet .:(
Hoping that this will change rapidly its around about 14c and over caste but weve had torrential rain these lst few days.:(

Dave

Reaction score
Is it getting warmer? I have seen our fish be a little more sluggish and choose shallower areas to rest/nap....

Ask a Question