Lazy Koi

Reaction score
Aloha all,
First post here, been lurking for a few days and I am impressed with the knowledge that everyone has been sharing here.
That being said I have an issue. I have had my pond for over 2 years now, and about 8 months ago we purchased an additional 2 koi to bring us up to 10 total. 1 of the 2 koi grew rapidly and has no issues at all, it is actualy almost one of my biggest fish, however his companion "Luna" is a different story. From about 2 months after we got them to today she has almost always just chilled on the bottom either in the corner or in the current from a water discharge. On top of that she will occasionally do jumps and then release bubbles through her gills. Her swimming looks strained, lots of full body movements for not a lot of actual linear movement, and wil only swim for short periods, 30 seconds or less. None of the other koi seemed to be affected so I do not think it is contagious especially since it has been a chronic problem since we introduced her to the pond.

Pond specs:
~1200 gal w/ 750gph pump to 100gal skippy biofilter
Water is very clear
Ph 7.5
Alkalinity good
no chlorine, low nitrites/nitrates

Any ideas? I will try to post a few pictures or a video.

Mahalo in advance!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. There are some folks on here that are very knowledgeable about Koi and will chime in shortly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomecolors.gif
MauiPonder

Ask a Question