I Am Lazy Why Not Test Strips ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read here over and over not to use test strips, but use liquid test. Both are made by same company API. Other then strips not checking ammonia levels why not ? Strips are so much easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know, but am guessing they're less accurate? Honestly, the color coding on the liquid drops is a bit of a guessing game too.

Maybe use the strips and if you get a reading that's concerning, retest with the liquid drop kit?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As all above has said "less accurate', plus, when subjected to a little elevated humidity they become even less accurate. If you live in a humid climate,the first test strip used may give a decent 'ball park' result, but then you can throw the rest of the strips away.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use to use the test strips. When changing over to the drops, I tested the pond with both to see the difference. Here is what my test results were.

upload_2017-7-10_8-52-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-10_8-51-26.png
    upload_2017-7-10_8-51-26.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 193

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use strips that I have and it is easier but i do have the liquid tests also .I also take water to a local pet store and have them test the water

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ditto what @Meyer Jordan and @mrsclem said regarding moisture. And once the bottle has been opened, the exposure to air is going to effect each and every strip in that bottle from that point on. It boils down to personal preference. I have heard that some people use both....the strips, sort of to gauge the water conditions and the drops then, as a more accurate followup.

I've thought about doing a comparison check over time, using same bottle of strips and same test kit (I like doing experiments!). But to me the strips are more expensive in the long run and even if they gave the exact same results, I'd end up going back to the drops.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is a digital read out they pour the water into different vials on top of the machines and it reads out every thing from the water even metal in the water since it is a well .I know he must have spent a lot on the equipment but it saves me head aches .The only thing is the ink from the printouts fades so he needs better ink or better paper .Last time I took my water it was $1 .85 to test it .He decided to invest because he was getting so much business from ponders here and his prices are great .I get the smaller nets from him for $1.99 and the same ones sell at petsmart for 8 dollars .Fish treats are $2,88 (or at least the bag I bought ) a bag with extra vitamins in his bulk bins ,so you can buy what you want or need .I buy a lunch bag full; .

Ask a Question