I built my winter pond cover this morning...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's a vid of the sunbubble. Still looks somewhat flimsy, but that winter pic gives me a bit of courage to try it. Even if I get 1 winter out of it, I can build something next year...I better put it on my list, now!

It looks like it would be structurally sound enough. How do you keep it from blowing over? Probably has tent stakes or something. What are the dimensions?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the cattle panels are still the best greenhouse cover .I remember seeing a greenhouse made of them years ago by texasprepper on you tube .Light weight and easy to move .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It has stakes to hold it in the ground. Where my pond is situated, it is blocked from the wind on three sides. Only the Southern side has full exposure, so wind shouldn't be a problem. (...famous last words :eek:). The sunbubble is 9' 3" wide and 6.5' high. My pond is hexagonal, and the widest part is just under 7', so it will extend around the pond by about a foot...just shy of the concrete block ground frame holding the river rock. The shade canopy I built so I can just lift it right off for the winter and store it under my deck (where this pic was taken from).

025-Jul_18.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It has stakes to hold it in the ground. Where my pond is situated, it is blocked from the wind on three sides. Only the Southern side has full exposure, so wind shouldn't be a problem. (...famous last words :eek:). The sunbubble is 9' 3" wide and 6.5' high. My pond is hexagonal, and the widest part is just under 7', so it will extend around the pond by about a foot...just shy of the concrete block ground frame holding the river rock. The shade canopy I built so I can just lift it right off for the winter and store it under my deck (where this pic was taken from).

View attachment 105364

that's a neat vantage point and really show's your attention to the overall design of your yard
was that done with a drone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think the cattle panels are still the best greenhouse cover .I remember seeing a greenhouse made of them years ago by texasprepper on you tube .Light weight and easy to move .

I wish I had seen this earlier!! I was looking for something like that but couldn't think of anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
has anyone tried using corrugated polycarb?
we get a few feet each year and it tends to linger till March so plastics sheet would not work for me

I do like the wood structure idea, but will likely look for treated wood which are safe for fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only thing with those polycarb panels is that they can crack an they can become cloudy .Reason most greenhouses use plastic sheeting is it is cheap and easy to replace

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just like ponds you are never done with landscaping .I cut down 2 dead pine trees at the back of my property this morning and 2 more have to go also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The cover works pretty well so far but of course it's not winter yet! But the air temps under the cover are toasty and my water temps have gone up by nearly 5 degrees (from 55 to 60) in a few days. My goal is just to keep the water in the high 40s so we will see what happens when the weather stays in the 30s for a couple of weeks in a row.

File Oct 18, 3 07 33 PM - Copy.jpeg

It's super easy to just fold the front of the plastic cover back to feed the fish and they have already learned that folding back the cover means feeding time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i would do something to cross support the plastic so it doesn't cave with snow. other then that good job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
i would do something to cross support the plastic so it doesn't cave with snow. other then that good job.

Since the plastic solar cover is really heavy duty and I'll have the edges held down with cinder blocks I'm hoping I don't need cross beams. The reason I don't want them is because there is no screwing or unscrewing required to put up or take down this structure. One person (me!) can just set stuff in place and it takes 10 minutes. Adding cross beams would require me to screw things down and due to the width of the pond each year I'd have to screw together the frame on the lawn and then get a couple people to help me set it on top of the pond.

I guess I'll find out if my plan works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Since the plastic solar cover is really heavy duty and I'll have the edges held down with cinder blocks I'm hoping I don't need cross beams. The reason I don't want them is because there is no screwing or unscrewing required to put up or take down this structure. One person (me!) can just set stuff in place and it takes 10 minutes. Adding cross beams would require me to screw things down and due to the width of the pond each year I'd have to screw together the frame on the lawn and then get a couple people to help me set it on top of the pond.

I guess I'll find out if my plan works!

possible screw in cross supports to 1 side to rest in the the saddles joist supports the metal brackets. or lay over cattle panels with a few small screws slightly raised to hold from sliding. Again a good ideal

Ask a Question