I built my winter pond cover this morning...

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by audioenvy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. audioenvy

audioenvy

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying because the water stays warmer during the winter due to the cover that there would actually be *more* risk of getting egg bound?

audioenvy, Oct 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. audioenvy

sissy sissy

Was a couple of youtube videos that talked about covers for the ponds and that they took them off come spring and it got hot out and fish started to breed and then they got a really bitter cold spell and they showed the fish dead .Maybe because the water was warmer it heated up even faster that they started to spawn and then they said the temps. after over 2 weeks of heat it turned cold with snow for a month .I guess it could happen not sure

sissy, Oct 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. audioenvy

audioenvy

Ahh, ok. Interesting.

While that seems like an outside possibility, to me the risk of fish having issues due to the exended torpor and no filtration/aeration/bio for several months seems like the much greater risk.

audioenvy, Oct 20, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  4. audioenvy

sissy sissy

True reason I wondered is because there are several video's but none say where the live .I know here in VA i get some snow and some cold but only in Jan. and Feb. and maybe a little in March .So not a big deal to me but the farther north you go the colder it gets .I used to live in NJ so cold was cold ,but not as cold as some states are

sissy, Oct 20, 2017
  5. audioenvy

audioenvy

We had 25 mph winds yesterday and the cover held up like a champ even without all the anchor blocks set out. Today the outside air temperature at 2:00pm was 50 degrees, the water was 60 degrees and I don't know what the air temperature under the cover was but I climbed under to feed/watch the fish for a while and after about 10 minutes my iPhone went into overheat mode!

audioenvy, Oct 21, 2017
    Gemma and Tula like this.
  6. audioenvy

Tula

@audioenvy , do you plan to run filtration through the winter? We're putting on the solar cover tomorrow, and will continue to run water fall and filters. I'll turn the water fall off sometime in Nov. and am hoping to run the filter until sometime in Dec., but will have to watch the weather.

Tula, Oct 22, 2017
  7. audioenvy

audioenvy

Yes, that's the current plan. I just covered the waterfall section of the pond today. I'll watch the temperatures, though.

audioenvy, Oct 22, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  8. audioenvy

sissy sissy

If it stays warm under there you may end up with lots of baby fish .

sissy, Oct 22, 2017
  9. audioenvy

Tula

I wish I could run my sand & gravel filter, year round....but if temps drop too low, pipes could freeze and the barrel crack.

Tula, Oct 22, 2017
  10. audioenvy

MoonShadows The Jam Man

The sunbubble came in the other day...but, it is too early too erect it over the pond. Stay tuned for pics.

MoonShadows, Oct 22, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  11. audioenvy

Tula

Really anxious to see it :)

We put our winter cover ( solar cover ) over the pond today. It's a dreadful view, but does the trick.

Tula, Oct 22, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  12. audioenvy

audioenvy

Yeah my family is not enamored of the pond as it is so when I put the cover on it was ahem not well received. The general consensus was hey isn't the whole reason you made the pond bigger so that you didn't need to cover it?!

I guess the bar has been raised compared to last year. Back then it was just a hope that my Petsmart fish would survive. This year I'm trying to minimize negative impact as much as possible.

The thing that is both good and bad is that the combination of sunny days and the solar cover has meant that the pond water is the warmest it has been in a month! That's the quandary. The water is now warm enough with the cover on for the fish to move around and eat somewhat but I have to lift the cover back each day to enjoy it. Fortunately it's super easy to just pull it back (or climb inside!).

audioenvy, Oct 22, 2017
  13. audioenvy

Tula

Mine are too spooked to eat this evening. We're supposed to have some freezing temps this week and my water temp has dropped below 60.

Tula, Oct 23, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  14. audioenvy

audioenvy

My fish are new enough that they still are not comfortable eating with me close by. I'm actually using the winter cover as a training tool. I pull the cover off to feed them so they know when the cover gets pulled back it's time to eat. I've gotten gradually closer and closer to them--but they are still quite nervous in general. I'm hoping by the spring time if I follow this pattern that they will eventually eat with me right there (if not actually out of my hand).

audioenvy, Oct 23, 2017
    Gemma, sissy and Tula like this.
  15. audioenvy

sissy sissy

pretty son they will be eating out of your hands like mine do .Company love it when the fish eat out of there hands .

sissy, Oct 23, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  16. audioenvy

Gemma

Thanks for the inspiration
    I was thinking mine would probably stop coming to me if that cover goes up, cause that's how they reacted when I put a feeding ring in the water,...doesn't take much to spook my fish, they've been through too much in their short lives

Gemma, Oct 23, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question