I could go either way on this - I'd love your thoughts...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The pond is new as of this Spring and doing well. I have about a million minnows and 8 goldfish. The deer keep eating the plants in the pond and the bog but everything is doing well. I am near Atlanta, so although we will have times when the temp goes below freezing, it is never long-term. I am planning to keep the bog running year round. I expect the biological filter will slow down but not really stop. The water is currently great. Clear and all parameters fantastic. I do have quite a bit of "mulm" build-up. (That cloud-like, green layer of insubstantial particles at the bottom.). The intake bay is doing a good job of pulling in leaves but it could be better. There are some that have sunk to the bottom.
Here is my dilemma: Do I try to do a good "clean" before winter? (Not a real clean - but more of a tidy up.) Or - since the pond is new - will that mulm and some leaves provide habitat for creatures that could be a food source through the winter?
I will do the little clean up if the debris could foul the water. But I will leave it if it could be beneficial.
I am not netting the pond. It is too big to do that easily. But I know it will get TONS of leaves before autumn is over. I plan to net those out several times a day, to try to keep up with it.
I could also put on my waders and walk around in the pond, netting leaves and disturbing the mulm, allowing it to get pulled up into the water. If I put a layer of quilt batting in the intake bay when I do this, it could pull some of that excess out of the pond as I go.
Good idea? Bad idea?
My thinking is that a moderate tidy up probably wouldn't hurt and could possibly help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs live in that mulm on the bottom over winter. I try not to mess with it this time of year. Same with the tads and other pond critters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh good! That will save me some trouble! Maybe I should do in the Spring, when the weather warms up?

Ask a Question