I do not think my pond is deep enough!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
FISH ARE INSIDE NOW SINCE Oct 14... They are doing well and I am happy with that. Next step is to thoroughly clean the outside pond and let it sit til Spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I still have yet to move mine into the porch tank...need to get a new filter pump and areator too. So far temps have been ranging daytime 50's-lower 80's and night in the 40's for the most part with a couple in the 30's. I know I'm procrasitinating! I just want them to enjoy their space as long as possible out in their pond...and am NOT ready/looking forward to winter here in Nebraska!

Reaction score
I also am not looking forward to winter. I use to like the four seasons but the older I get the more I hate winter! Last year was my first winter with my pond I had four koi and two goldfish. Lost one koi coming into spring and then I had a goldfish with two big patches of fungus on both sides of its body. Pulled it out and treated it for about two months! Glad to say I won and it is now back in the pond. Then I found the other goldfish floating on top of the pond couldn't find anything wrong, so who knows? So this winter I have 13 koi and 1 gold fish going into winter and I hope come spring I will end up with most of them surviving! The bottom of the pond temp tonight was 47.6 tonight. Thinking I will shut my pump off this weekend and start my bubbler.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
move here mtpond you can get houses real cheap now .Just had a couple leave and go back to NJ to pack up for there move hereand they were paying 1800 dollars a month for 1 bedroom apartment there and they sold there house back before Isold mine and they could not believe they bought here 7.98 acres and a 1600 sq. ft. house for 58 thousand and 358 dollars a year in taxes .They were struggling up in NJ and kept telling them to come down and look .I think there son bled them dry and has made his career college as he is 39 years old and still in college and keeps changing what he wants to do and of course mom and dad are paying .Should not have said that but after years of hearing them complain ,what can you say .Well there comment was that I do not understand because my sons are uneducated ,oh well just turned my back and said nothing .I did not want to make it worse .After months of helping them find a place too .To each his own .It has been in the mid to high 70's here and supposed to get up near 80 next week .Iternet still not working right so have to call century link again

Reaction score
Just curious as to what water temp most shut off their filtration and just do air?

As to career college, I have to be careful there LOL. My father had a great career after leaving the airforce (he designed aircraft engines), but I kid you not that for the entirity of his life, if he was interested in something, he took college courses. He attitude was it was FREE since he was a vet, why not continue to further his education;-)

My son on the otherhand, has waited to start college, until he had a feel for the economy and where there would be job openings in his future. He was torn between various engineering fields, and a few months ago told us he was starting school next year... Going after his commerical pilots license to fly the big birds.... go figure! I didnt see that coming.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you can pay for it no big deal but he is using his parents and gets a new car every year .I usually turn mine off around water temp staying around 40 degrees and that depends on what temps will be out side .We can get to 70 and 80 degrees in December .But they say bacteria in the filter starts to die off at 50 degrees ,but I sometimes wonder about that part .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I also am not looking forward to winter. I use to like the four seasons but the older I get the more I hate winter! Last year was my first winter with my pond I had four koi and two goldfish. Lost one koi coming into spring and then I had a goldfish with two big patches of fungus on both sides of its body. Pulled it out and treated it for about two months! Glad to say I won and it is now back in the pond. Then I found the other goldfish floating on top of the pond couldn't find anything wrong, so who knows? So this winter I have 13 koi and 1 gold fish going into winter and I hope come spring I will end up with most of them surviving! The bottom of the pond temp tonight was 47.6 tonight. Thinking I will shut my pump off this weekend and start my bubbler.

I had fungus in pond and on the the fish one year, many years ago, when I tried to cover the pond for the winter. Normally the sun will shine threw the ice and burn up fungus as spores, but that first winter I covered the pond with clear plastic and made a little greenhouse over top. But the sun's strongest spectrum couldn't get threw the plastic and I got Fungus. I treated the fungus with natural pond peat back then and took the plastic off and it went away and fish were all OK. Now I leave some leaves in the pond as they too can act like peat and prevent fungus.

I have my winter method all down "pat" and it works well for me now. I never shut all the pumps off either, just because my ponds circulate all together and I personnally think it's better not to shut all pumps and filters down. But thats just me.

Ask a Question