I hate Herons!

Reaction score
About a week ago I saw this enormous bird standing next to my pond. At first I thought, Wow! Then I realized it was most likely in line for lunch. I've scared it off 3 or 4 times. I dont know the damage done because I cant see my fish. There is a good chance they, (whats left of them) are hiding in the tall grass. They used to get frenzied when they would see me because they knew it was dinner time. They would also follow my net as I skimmed debris from the water's surface. No longer. I havent seen any fish for 2 days. I wish I knew the most effective method in which to deter these (Insert expletives) critters. I am getting much enjoyment from my acquatic friends and I am about to lose my cool on these birds.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've completely netted my pond after they ate two of my biggest and best. I put my nets on a pvc frame so that the net can be removed easily.

I've read here that a fake heron will scare them away. I saw a life sized (3 ft tall) painted gnome at my home improvement store today. That might work too.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are several threads on here that have talked about different ways to keep the heron from eating your fish, they are mixed results. Some cover their ponds, others string up fishing line around it, some put up chicken wire around it, some have fake herons, alligators to scare them off. I had a heron visiting in the spring and I put out this wood carving of a pelican and have not seen him since. I do move it every day or so around the pond in different areas, could be just coincidence but I am not taking the chance he is staying.

Attachments

• P1030963.JPG
    P1030963.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 418
  • P1030962.JPG
    P1030962.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 428
Reaction score
i use one of those motion activated sprinklers, of course i have to remember to turn it back on when working around pond or sure to get wet

Reaction score
The motion activated sprinkler has a pretty good record. I read of a guy who put an old jig saw into a 5 gal bucket and hooked it up to a light motion detector. He said it worked well and I think it would. The Herons don't mind the shooting water, it's the sudden noise and movement.

The decoy theory is based on Heron's being territorial which sounds good. Trouble is it makes the false assumption that Heron's respect another Heron's territory. Instead Herons are attracted to decoy because if they see a Heron by a pond they assume there's food and it's safe. They can either share the source or push the current owner out. Wildlife biologists use Heron decoys to attract Herons for trapping and banding.

The one group of people who say decoys work...sellers of decoys. Surprise, surprise.

The videos on Heron decoys are pretty funny.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far our floating alligator heads are working. Once I put them in the pond last year the heron that visited every day kept a good distance from the pond, would stare at the alligator for 1/2 - 1 hour then go out into the yard and eat bugs. The gbh has not come back this year yet, the green heron did visit and get one small fish, now i fixed the gap it got through. It is more of a edge fisher, so fixed the edge. It came one time last year, didn't get a fish and I did not see it again that year.

I do have chicken wire around the pond so the heron can not walk up and fish from the edge.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use a loud radio set to talk radio that comes on from dusk to dawn and also have about a 2ft wire fence around the pond and a floating gator, lots of wind chimes and a big black cat who loves to chase the heron off................well used to as we don't see the bird anymore, knock on wood!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fake herons not only didn't work I really point a finger that he actually got the actual herons attention to come to the pond in the first place. i understand your frustration. Christmas before last we lost almost our entire collection of butterfly and standard koi to a heron. It probably got 20 or more Koi in a single week two of them being 3 yera old 16-18" fish! I've tried hanging Cd's with some good. (Anything flashy like pin wheels, wind chimes, Cd's hanging will help some, But NOT 100%. I've tried motion sprinklers, The dogs and me ended up getting sprayed far more times than the heron but when it sprayed him it would leave. So again, not 100% but helps. Sounds, anything that is louder than normal outdoor sounds that comes on suddenly, such as radio, drivway motion detctors, etc again help, but if they get used to it it too is not even 100%.
I'm now to the point of a full cover netting. AND STILL not 100% effective, I've already caught one in the netted area but he left before I could get out there and scare it off. No fish missing yet but I know he fould a way in and out.

Attachments

• Shamu and kojak 030.JPG
    Shamu and kojak 030.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 382
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I feel bad for those who have heron difficulties... all the netting and such. So much for a natural looking setting. Maybe that's the problem.... Folks! ... Your ponds are too nice looking... ugly them up a bit will you!

We have blue herons around here, but I've yet to have an issue with them. However.... the raccoons around here seem to like fishing. I've lost 3 or 4 goldfish and minnows to them. Usually at night when my dog is busy visiting la-la land. It's a little disturbing to find the remnant carcasses in the lawn.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
raccons can be a probelm as they will wreck the pond once they know there is a food supply, herons, and owls can clean out a very large population of fish in a short time. After rasining some of our Koi for several years I hated losing them more than I hated it not looking natural. It's just a trade off I learned i would have to except.

Reaction score
the raccoons around here seem to like fishing. I've lost 3 or 4 goldfish and minnows to them.
Sure it isn't a Night Heron doing the deed? Raccoons certainly will try to catch fish, and will sometimes, but they really suck at it. Trashing a pond is more their MO.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well the green heron visited again, but this time no fish, I closed the gap it used to get onto the bog wall. It did circle the pond. Then landed on our bird feeder right outside our windows to show its disgust at not getting a fish! So for me alligator heads for the gbh and chicken wire for the green heron is working so far.

DSC03527.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Sure it isn't a Night Heron doing the deed? Raccoons certainly will try to catch fish, and will sometimes, but they really suck at it. Trashing a pond is more their MO.

Pretty sure in my case it's raccoons. We're visited by them quite frequently, pre and post pond instalation. I have one little (60 pounder at least!) scoundrel that's brazen enough to come up to my patio door, knock and ask if I have any pizza that I don't plan on eating. I'm on a first name basis with him. Frederick the Bandit. (Maybe it's Fredweena........ who knows?...lol)

Ask a Question