Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
C557A972-AB6C-4E42-B9A7-04E1B4E60C6C.jpeg
515CEF85-A9A3-47E4-951A-AACEBECC4499.jpeg
AB04B6C1-739B-42A2-B6AD-07DA38AC02E2.jpeg
Here I am at 3:30 on a Monday afternoon feeding the fish and having coffee and talking with Sarah. Pond temp is 68 but the air temperature is 63 ..... You have to understand I am from the south and I am getting older, this is the beginning of Winter for me.....but looked at the forecast for next Saturday and Sunday night low's .... 29 and 30 degrees with clear skies.... Which equates to FROST...... That means I have to defoliate/ take everything to the ground next weekend..... ARRRRGH.....at the end of the day even though it's a PITA....it all makes good compost......lol Jimmy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wait it out, a lot of the first frosts don't really harm the plants. We had some nights in the very low 30's, figured the tomatoes where history, they are still growing strong and covered with tomatoes.
That means I have to defoliate/ take everything to the ground next weekend..... ARRRRGH.....at the end of the day even though it's a PITA....it all makes good compost......lol Jimmy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If there is enough humidity in the air frost cannot harm plants .I am from NJ and been here since 2004 15 minutes from the NC border .Still 70's but supposed to get to the 60's after this storm .Race here this weekend and it is a pain .Have friends here looking at houses to retire here and they cannot believe what they can get for 50 thousand.They had a budget of 150 thousand but those houses were to big so they lowered the price range the were looking at .I warned them that the higher the price the bigger the house . Our lowest temp at night has been 39 degrees so far .The wind that is here now is blowing leaves every where .They have a tornado warning up for now because temp raised up .I think that the tornado warning is going to follow this storm all the way up north .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wait it out, a lot of the first frosts don't really harm the plants. We had some nights in the very low 30's, figured the tomatoes where history, they are still growing strong and covered with tomatoes.
I agree Addy...... But it's gonna happen, same thing every year...... When you have a tropical garden that stuff grows like crazy and looks good but at the end of the day you have to get rid of it...... I am the same way in the spring putting mulch down, on our garden's it's a three day ordeal, but I have something to look forward to when everything starts growing...... All I have left in my vegetable garden is turnip and mustard greens, green onions and a few surviving pepper plants. I am just in my Pre wintertime mood..... Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If there is enough humidity in the air frost cannot harm plants .I am from NJ and been here since 2004 15 minutes from the NC border .Still 70's but supposed to get to the 60's after this storm .Race here this weekend and it is a pain .Have friends here looking at houses to retire here and they cannot believe what they can get for 50 thousand.They had a budget of 150 thousand but those houses were to big so they lowered the price range the were looking at .I warned them that the higher the price the bigger the house . Our lowest temp at night has been 39 degrees so far .The wind that is here now is blowing leaves every where .They have a tornado warning up for now because temp raised up .I think that the tornado warning is going to follow this storm all the way up north .
Sissy you are getting what we had last night.....not bad here but lots of rain and temperature dropping

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I pulled almost all the plants I'm going to winterize, I thought I'd have a few weeks left before having to pull the Geraniums, but I rather not risk it, so they are coming up tomorrow
Too bad I had to clean up my tomato plants still full of fruits, I rather do that than end up doing the cleaning up in bitter cold

@Jimmy Gibson don't hate Fall and winter, take this time to relax and fantasize about your garden next year, this is what I do!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've been widdling down potted plants and hanging baskets for the last few weeks. I've started pulling some of the annuals, but left some for warm days, the bees and butterflies love them.

I've done things a little early, as I'm having surgery in a week and will be off my feet for a couple weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been widdling down potted plants and hanging baskets for the last few weeks. I've started pulling some of the annuals, but left some for warm days, the bees and butterflies love them.

I've done things a little early, as I'm having surgery in a week and will be off my feet for a couple weeks.
Good luck on your surgery! Hope it's nothing too serious!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best wishes..................get healthy and come back!

Ask a Question