I miss Waterbug...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sorry, PM's were taking up too much of my time. I'm also not on Facebook and a million other social things. Not even a cell phone. Wish I had the time, just don't always. I normally respond to emails if I have time, but even that I have to scale back sometimes.

I do sometimes use the ignore feature. Again, a time saver. After I'd read a few hundred posts from a member I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what they know, their opinions and whether they would want me responding to their posts. Maybe you can relate.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Generally, my optimism is a bit higher toward folk who take the time to write a PM rather than assuming they just want to have a "fake" conversation.

Although, I actually understand where you're coming from and it is a shame.

Reaction score
Optimism? Try not enough hours in the day. I can barely manage friends, family and business contacts. There's no way I could also add virtual "friends" and get anything done. I don't know how people do it. Just reading and posting in forums eats up way too much time. Something at some point I'm also going to have to drop.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug said:
Optimism? Try not enough hours in the day. I can barely manage friends, family and business contacts. There's no way I could also add virtual "friends" and get anything done. I don't know how people do it. Just reading and posting in forums eats up way too much time. Something at some point I'm also going to have to drop.

Yep, I agree and definitely understand that. It's one reason why I try not to hang around much anymore by trying to take a week break from all forums here and there. It does take a significant amount of time when there's a good conversation due to mainly me digging through my library to compose a post well enough that properly expresses my thoughts. However, as the result of practicing anything, the more repetition gives me practice at posting my thoughts quicker! :cheerful:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
crsublette said:
Yep, I agree and definitely understand that. It's one reason why I try not to hang around much anymore by trying to take a week break from all forums here and there. It does take a significant amount of time when there's a good conversation due to mainly me digging through my library to compose a post well enough that properly expresses my thoughts. However, as the result of practicing anything, the more repetition gives me practice at posting my thoughts quicker! :cheerful:
--- and longer! :LOL:
John

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Fishylove said:
Heyyyy! I still say nothing wrong with being long winded. :)
Heyyyy!! That reminds me of....

"I do see [ I am ] a windy guy, but it's a good type of windy that helps to produce a bit of educational energy." :bdaybiggrin: Ugh... That was me trying to play on words with a statement from Dr. Anoxic Novak, who apparently lacks a sense of humor, and got him mad at me . :eek: :banghead3: :faint:

So... as turn about is fair game... :eek:

Fishylove and Haro, I am completely offended at you for writing that... ^_^ :cheerful:

Reaction score
It is pretty funny. I'm always surprised anyone reads my ridiculously long posts...and they basically keep repeating.

It's pretty rare that I will read a long post. On my TODO list is to take all my posts and move that info into my web site. Forums are great for people bringing up issues worth thought and research and the text editors and content management are pretty great. But for organizing actual idea it's the pits. Wasn't built for that.

Charles, (bold I think helps for skimming, text, not leaves) if you ever want to bundle your posts into a web site you should be warned that accessing older posts here, and some other sites, is an issue. You're limited by the search provided to access their database. Those search parameters could change, but I've been downloading and saving my posts on the first of the month to be safe. Forum rules limits crawler use (I think), but once a month seems to be OK. Before coming to this forum I was using another forum as my own personal journal database, completely unrelated to ponds, and the owners suddenly took the entire forum down and I couldn't get any of my data out. Sucked. Now I backup.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug said:
It's pretty rare that I will read a long post. On my TODO list is to take all my posts and move that info into my web site. Forums are great for people bringing up issues worth thought and research and the text editors and content management are pretty great. But for organizing actual idea it's the pits. Wasn't built for that.

Yep, been one of my projects on my list as well, along with finally notating my reference library, one day I am gonna write an article here under the "Garden Pond Articles" section with all the references to my posts and other resources I have accured in my library. I might do it during the winter when I have more down time.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Fishylove said:
LOL :cheerful: 1) Sorry Charlie, those are the breaks HA! :claphands:

1) Sorry Charlie

Ok. That's it. Crossed the line. Brings back terrible grade school memories of "sorry charlie" teasing... Fishy, you're just a big bully that likes to tease me. :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug said:
Charles, (bold I think helps for skimming, text, not leaves) if you ever want to bundle your posts into a web site you should be warned that accessing older posts here, and some other sites, is an issue. You're limited by the search provided to access their database. Those search parameters could change, but I've been downloading and saving my posts on the first of the month to be safe. Forum rules limits crawler use (I think), but once a month seems to be OK. Before coming to this forum I was using another forum as my own personal journal database, completely unrelated to ponds, and the owners suddenly took the entire forum down and I couldn't get any of my data out. Sucked. Now I backup.

Yep, I've been using Adobe PDF to convert Internate pages into PDF files. Ya can get elaborate by stringing multiple Internet pages. It also documents "everything" in the file so it makes no difference if the image data or other data is client side or server side; if it is displayed on the browser, then it is added into the PDF file.

There are open source, free software, and even software modules you can download to add when making personalized software that does the same as Adobe, but they all leave a stupid watermark on the PDF file, which blocks some text and images to the point of almost making the document unreadable.

Incredibly useful. There have been many websites that have been taken down, but, no worries, I have my PDF files.

I do it everytime there is something I find interesting. Also, just to make sure, I lookup the "last modified date" on my files and compare it to current info. I have a bookmark section of "stuff to archive". In this section, for a forum thread, generally, when a thread becomes a month old without activity, then I push the updates into my PDF file by copy/replace.

I've been falling behind tho. Got about 50 or so references to backup.

I used to use a Black Widow program, but it saves far too much reference data that I need for my purposes and the black widow is not necessarily a " legit " program, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Reaction score
crsublette said:
Yep, been one of my projects on my list as well
Kind of figured you had the same idea.

crsublette said:
, along with finally notating my reference library, one day I am gonna write an article here under the "Garden Pond Articles" section with all the references to my posts and other resources I have accured in my library. I might do it during the winter when I have more down time.
I like to keep control and ownership of my work. Posting it on another site means they can limit how and what you say. They can change it so it no long means what you intended. They can remove your name and all credit. They can fill the content with ads. Some web wienie can put a hideous background behind your text so it's painful to read. They can sell your content to whoever they wish and content today is a pretty big business. And I've seen more than a few sites go from well done and respected to pieces of advertising crap holes. And you're not allowed to even publish the same info on another site...you lose all ownership on most sites. Can't even publish your own posts.

So tomorrow your content and rep could be associated with something you'd rather not be. They own you. Like giving pictures to Playgirl when you're 18 and seeing them published when you're 40. Who hasn't been there?

Editing content is a lot of work...I'm keeping mine.

Reaction score
crsublette said:
I used to use a Black Widow program, but it saves far too much reference data that I need for my purposes and the black widow is not necessarily a " legit " program, if ya know what I mean. ;)
I've found this site to be useful for the latest methods and "custom" options. There are a few other sites but these dudes are serious and very helpful if you're serious too.

I'm really old...I've had trouble with PDF format changes in the past..nothing too serious but a pita. And you have to be careful about settings to make sure you really have all the content you want. So I stick to raw text (including BBCode) and downloading images. Easier for me to search with software. Plus the free PDF editors, at least used to, kind of suck. Paying Adobe $140 for something I don't need isn't appealing.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterbug said:
Kind of figured you had the same idea.

I like to keep control and ownership of my work. Posting it on another site means they can limit how and what you say. They can change it so it no long means what you intended. They can remove your name and all credit. They can fill the content with ads. Some web wienie can put a hideous background behind your text so it's painful to read. They can sell your content to whoever they wish and content today is a pretty big business. And I've seen more than a few sites go from well done and respected to pieces of advertising crap holes. And you're not allowed to even publish the same info on another site...you lose all ownership on most sites. Can't even publish your own posts.

So tomorrow your content and rep could be associated with something you'd rather not be. They own you. Like giving pictures to Playgirl when you're 18 and seeing them published when you're 40. Who hasn't been there?

Editing content is a lot of work...I'm keeping mine.

Yeah man, I completely understand.

Meh, been in the tech world thang far too much to care about reputation. I know everything I post is publicly available for everyone to see and manipulate and for the future propserity of all time. So, meh, that's just the nature of the beast and is why I archive everything on my personal drive.

I'm just a simple farmer that does odd jobs here and there. If folk want to twist my content or take credit for it, then go ahead since it don't matter to me much. All I can control is what I can while I am here when I write. :)

Actually, there was a fella that did just that!!! HTH Test Stripes for Pools, post#4 is an exact copy/paste of what I wrote in Advice On Digital PH Tester, post#4.

Meh, this is gonna happen no matter. It's all good as long as they don't insert a picture of a goat doing some "undesireable mischief" to what I wrote. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question