I think I found my skippy barrel

Reaction score
Going to try to keep the look rustic and don't want to try to hide a barrel as it's virtually impossible where my pond is. Thinking about one of these. I plan on putting a pvc liner in it to keep contaminants out. What do you think? Look for the first and second picture you see!! Trying to decide between the 2. Probably the second one.

http://www.easycart.net/FiresideGallery/White_Oak_Barrel_Products.html#whiskeybarrel

This link will show why it's impossible for my to hide a regular 55 gallon drum!

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/blackabbydog/?action=view&current=pondnew.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can get that spray on rubber stuff .I had a cracked 300 gallon stock and it was a bottom crack .I bought the rubber spray on stuff at lowes .Keeping it nice and water tight so far .

Reaction score
Do the think the bumpiness of that stuff will cause too much turbulace? How long did you let if air out before using? These are about 125 lbs empty, I don't plan on moving it a lot!!! :)

Edit: Maybe I'll see what drunk koi look like :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lol :LOL: FISH ABUSE ---It was pretty smooth when I sprayed it on .You have to spray it in layers rather than to thick to start with .Most people want it done fast .I gave it 48 hours and believe me I was not moving it much either ,those rubbermaid things are heavy .I can barely move the thing myself .It took 2 cans and they were 15 dollars each .I sealed the inside and outside on the bottom and up part of the inside .Then had enough to fix 2 hose's and a barrel that cracked .

Reaction score
The reason I was thinking of a pvc (yes, I said pvc) liner is because I got one from a buddy who didn't want it. Drop it in and fill with water. Really quick after the plumbing is done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
since it was free why not if it works it works .free is always better

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I'm a little confused... turbulence from the spray on liner? Isn't shoving a liner into a round barrel going to have about a million folds?

Another idea, you could get a regular barrel and bury it partway, a lot easier to cover up that way.

Reaction score
You do have a point there about the liner. The reason I decided to keep it above ground is for a bottom drain for when this needs cleaned.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could always put a dirty water pump in the bottom of the tank and just plug it in to clean the bottom of the tank .I have been doing that for over a year now as my cleanout was in between retaining wall block and I would scrape my knuckles .I just plug it in when the tank needs cleaned and do a 10% water change at the same time .I don't turn off the pond pump to do it .Just keep it running and since I have well water I run the hose up to the pond and fill and empty at the same time .2 birds one stone ,fast and easy .No sitting there waiting for the mucky stuff to drain out of the bottom .I actually think it does a better job too .

Reaction score
Good idea. Unfortunately, I am a very picky person about electrical/plumbing lines being even slightly visible. I am actually going to be hiding my output too, somehow. I have work to that for that pickiness:(. I could, however, feed the power cord through the bottom and us that spay rubber correct? Think it would plug the holes for the cleaning line and the electrical? I'm posting from an iPhone and it's a pain to view previous comments in forums. Can't remember if you plugged a crack or a whole.

Reaction score
Also, would you guys usi a prefilter or not? I have read both. My plan is to run the skippy from my second lowest shelf. This way if something goes belly up, I won't have a totally drained pond. The problem is, I can't easily reach tgat shelf to clean the prefilter!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I plugged a crack and you could get that gold seal stuff or silicon .

Reaction score
I need a skippy building pro. Here is my though:

Will that top 90 on my output going to cause problems? This way almost everything will be hidden in the barrel. Just wanting some more input before I do the real deal.

Attachments

• Barrel Skippy.png
    Barrel Skippy.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 228

Ask a Question