I want to do a 55 gallon drum skippy type filter

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
glad to help.. just curious, wat size pump are you using? by the looks of whats comming out you should go bigger !!
You know I don't remember, it's a laguna that I bought with a matching waterfall type filter, I was wondering if it was better to go with more flow or if this slower flow would be better for the bio action to work better.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your tank is 100 gallons you could esasily run 2000 gph thru it and keep up with a decent fish load and have a nice waterfall to boot..are you gonna make a falls or no?

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
your tank is 100 gallons you could esasily run 2000 gph thru it and keep up with a decent fish load and have a nice waterfall to boot..are you gonna make a falls or no?

The tank is 70 gallons, I'd like to have a waterfall but not sure I have the room or how to go about it.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
do yourself a favor and switch your elbow pipe for a street tee and avoid a syphon backflush of the filter into the pond if the pump should stop for any reason..power failure, accidental unplugging or whatever.. this will break the syphon.....
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1334&d=1252186446
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=830&d=1245846479 this one is from my 70 gallon
notice the hornwort in the filter and hiacynths and lettuce went on top.

ok I got rid of the elbow and stuck some plants in, what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC01659.jpg
    DSC01659.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC01660.jpg
    DSC01660.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 260

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats the idea.. is your tank as full of media as possible or are you waiting to fill it? what are those plants that you stuck in the grate? are you gonna stick a section of pipe in your outlet, and /or make a waterfall? how much water is above your upper grate? is there any fish in there yet? and post some pics of the whole setup.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
thats the idea.. is your tank as full of media as possible or are you waiting to fill it? what are those plants that you stuck in the grate? are you gonna stick a section of pipe in your outlet, and /or make a waterfall? how much water is above your upper grate? is there any fish in there yet? and post some pics of the whole setup.

There is only about 2" of water above the grate, the plants are water Lettuce, Hyacinth, Parrot's Feather, Frogbit, Red Stemmed Parrots Feather and Sensitive Plant - (Neptunia aquatica) I've had fish in the pond since last may. I haven't decided what to do about a waterfall yet.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i hust noticed you put the closet flange on with the pipe fit end on the inside of the tank,,if you had it turned around you could have more options in the pond return plumbing after the filter.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i hust noticed you put the closet flange on with the pipe fit end on the inside of the tank,,if you had it turned around you could have more options in the pond return plumbing after the filter.

Yes, I've since turned it around and added this

Attachments

• DSC01663.jpg
    DSC01663.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
Ghall u should think about covering up that powerstrip. B4 something happens. Just lookin out. But other than that ur set up is lookin good

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats cool guy .. but i just want to add that the further the water falls in to the pond the better job it does of aerating the water. and i'm sure you did this but just in case i'm gonna ask...is your pump at the opposite end of the pond from the filter? if not be sure to move it there so your not just recirculating the water from that end, and your getting the whole pond.

Ask a Question