ick in the pond

Reaction score
if i have goldfish and 1 koi in a 200 gallon pond and the koi has ich do i still go with 4 -6 pounds of salt to cure , i have added some stuff that turns the water blue called ick cure already , and i added a couple cups of aquarium salt also .. should i keep adding salt ?

Reaction score
R.E drdave..
is api aquarium salt what you are referring to ? or regular salt , sea salt , i know not to use table salt , i never knew there were so many types of salt , i know i am ignorant , but still trying , btw my smaller pond is crystal clear and doing great , i got the bigger pond to give the fish room , so as of now i am gaining experience and almost feel big headed about it , but this darn Koi has me mistified , none of the other fish have developed any spots in the same pond with the Koi i know its contagious but i am hoping i can stop the spread

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Salt 101:
A lot of folks will argue this but chemistry does not lie. All basic salt is Sodium Chloride, NaCl.
It does not matter if it came from the sea or underground. That said, table salt usually has Iodine added. Sea salt may have a few impurities in it that are likely to be more beneficial than not.

Brand names put a lot of fancy names on theirs to entice you to buy their "special salt", you will even find Kosher salt. it is still SALT.

Look at the bag, it it is 100% sodium chloride you are golden.

Reaction score
ok thank you but how much should i add , also i see my plants are getting black (almost look as though they are burned) ends is due to the salt , i really dont mind losing plants as i can add more later when the fish are cured ... keep in mind that there are also 5 gold fish and 1 pleco in the same pond , should i add salt directly to pond , via the waterfall , or pour into the pond directly , or should i mix in with a water change ?

Reaction score
the pond is 200 gallons .. how much and how frequent ... man i am sure all these questions must be frustrating to you , but after this round there will be no more unless something drastic happens

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
salt level is salt level, You don't just keep adding it. You need to have a reading of .1%-.3% max. Once you add your salt it's in the water, need a tester, really.

Reaction score
salt i have added is no more than two cups and over two days , the fish seem fine and are loving live ( but from prior experience ) i know that is really no indicator on their health , i will buy a test kit , i did however add some ick cure , turned water blue green i am thinking this is the malachite stuff people were talking about , now i will let nature take ove .. thanks for your help

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
2 cups in a 100 gallon pond may be a lot depending on the cup size, the accuracy of your pond size and the existing residual salinity level.
A test kit is less than $10.

Ask a Question