My pond and trickle tower filter

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new here but wanted to tell my story.

I have a raised pond. 8ftx5x2.5 with an additional part that was the bog filter/ pea shingle about 25% the size of the main pond.

I have had this for 18 years and never cleaned the bog filter or pond out, well finally the pond turned a disgusting mixture of soup. On testing everything was in balance. The bog filter worked from the beginning though the water was never really clear. Non cleaning over the years was the problem.

A new start.
I did not wanted to go back to pea shingle as it was a pain to haul out and clean etc so though i would try a trickle tower filter. So I built a copy of this with some adaptions.

At the bottom I added on a sump with a man hole cover type thing at the bottom which i can open to let the gunge out. Also where the water exits I added a filter of probably 500 microns. Now I tried this at the top of the tower so the water flowed onto it and it blocked in 20 mins or so. So i tried it where the water exits, the filter sits slightly recessed/ verticle in the tower so the water level covers half of the filter and the water drops down onto it, What seems to be happening is as the debris builds on the filter the downward movement of water washes of the debris/ algae into the sump. I have been testing the water for clarity as it exits and it is as clear as tap water, absolutely no sediment. I left the glass for an hour or so and no sediment at all.

I have not tested the pond water yet for ph, nitrates etc.

The pond is in full sun. you can see algae starting to form in the pond but only here and there and it clears as the sun goes down. So far it is completely maintenance free. Obviously you have to open the sump hole cover to let the gunge out every so often.

It is not the prettiest filter but I quite like it now especially as it is doing a good job.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome to the forum!
To be pedantic, a Bakki shower is a shower filter with Bacteria House media so that's not a Bakki. It's not a shower filter either. I love those pipes. Every time I walk by them in Home Depot I think of ways to make a filter out of them but they are not cheap. I would consider that filter more of a wet/dry filter than anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just loved the consept John you cant fault it and it is different you must admit (y)

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I just loved the consept John you cant fault it and it is different you must admit (y)
Dave
No, there's nothing wrong with it. It'd be great where you want to hide it among trees or against a wall. You can also build that horizontally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
one thing I will point out William the media you use after a while becomes brittle and starts to break up it may be an idea to change it .
Question do you fill it from the bottom to the top with the same media ? if nopt how do you stop it dropping through .
Could you do a drawing about how you put everything together including the manhole cover thankyou

Dave

Ask a Question