Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
sissy said:
to keep leaves out you may need a net over it or like I use window screening

I put the window screen up a week ago. Now there are leafs and sticky stuff on it and when rain come it washes the sticky stuff ( don't know what it is, it's nature though) and any dirt, dust to my pond. My pond is under two large trees so I will have tons of leafs :)

JohnHuff said:
I've done 2 shower filters, but if i were to do another one, I'd make one like this:

http://www.koiforum.co.uk/diy-tips-tricks-diy-projects/7146-home-made-diy-bakki-shower.html

I've seen these plastic storage drawers at the Container Store and Target and you can make them any size and height you want.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/drawers

The best thing about these drawers is that you don't need to make the supports. You just need to drill holes, add media and hoses. I used K2 for media so they act as moving bed filters as well.

If you buy something like this:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/drawers?productId=10027797&N=62561

you can make the first drawer a settling tank, put mechanical filtration the next drawer, bioballs in another, a shower filter when water falls from one level to another, moving media in another, lava rock in another. In fact, this is the best filter ever. I feel like rushing out and buying one right away! Amazetastic!!!
Wow John, thanks! It seems doable now and I now have ideas for it. I'm not sure how you would use the container you link as a filter though, it has many room in one level?

Reaction score
Nepen said:
Wow John, thanks! It seems doable now and I now have ideas for it. I'm not sure how you would use the container you link as a filter though, it has many room in one level?
That one picture is just showing that you can stack different size containers together. For our purposes you would just select containers of the same size and stack them on top of each other.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think this container is grate (pun intended, ha ha!)

dvmtyd.jpg

1 - You can have the water entering top left. You can make that as a settling chamber by putting a couple of baffles in it and have the water drain high on the top left.
2 - Put your pads here for mech filtration.
3 - Bioballs or other media.
4 - The water would fall down from 3 to make a shower filter compartment which will also add air (cut air holes to draw air in.)
5 - media
6 - media
7- Another shower compartment
8 - Exit and side flush if needed.

This is just a basic idea. I'm sure others can make better improvements on this. In fact, I think this so much I'm gonna put this in the DIY section for others to look at and improve on.

Nepen said:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, that would make a good filter for a big pond! May be since I have small pond I can get smaller one. But it would be good to have more filter than I need anyway, right? :)

Going to keep this in mind, thanks John. I want to cooperate plant in it somehow. I still stuck on wanting plants too :) but I can see the benefit of the stacking shower filter!

Sissy, no pine needle. I have on mulberry tree and the other one I don't know what it is. It could be sap... It's making my water nasty now. I'm going to go do water change :(

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Nepen, those things are modular. You can get as little as 1 of them for your small pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks addy. Yes, that might be something I can do :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If my big pond had an edge I would do it too, I was thinking of adding to my deck pond.
It gets fed unfiltered water from the big pond and only runs twice a day (stream pump on a timer) So it fights string algae all summer. This would probably cure it of that issue. Would not need a big pump at all just enough to circulate a little water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is actually very much like what I come to. I will have the water coming from the side though, then the water will run through gravels and out the other side that will be connect to my water fall. But I might just have water come from the top then off to the side then to the waterfall too. Will see :)

I'm planning on getting a little bigger planter though :)

Also the shower filter could be good too but I want plants so :)

Ohh... just a thought that I could just put a layer of activated carbon in the planter to help with my water color... hmm.... ideas ideas

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy the acurel activated at pet mountain and i have 4 dollar store laundry bags full in each filter along with 1 bag of crushed oyster shells in each filter .I really think it helps along with the plants to keep my pond clean .That and my beloved lava rocks .Fact reminds me I have to get more .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Sissy,
Do you know anything about 're-activating' the activated carbon? how to do it and how long can one last normally?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked it up on google and seems there are lots of ways .I just soak mine in peroxide and water for a few minutes and hose it off .Not sure if it reactivates it but it cleans it good .I buy the big bags and usually but 4 or 5 bags at a time when they have a code for 49 dollar free shipping .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy :)

So after looking online I'm thinking something like this could work too

http://www.amazon.com/Gardman-R812-...F8&qid=1380048539&sr=1-76&keywords=planter+36

Iron wall hanging basket with coco fiber to hold the rocks and just let the water go through it.. no hole to drill :) Just hang it over the pond and let the water go back to the pond.

If I want to go with this then I"ll just need a 3 way hose connector since I still want to have my waterfall - my pump will pump to 2 places instead of one... then I might need a bigger pump... hmm....

Ask a Question