If this, then that... My morning rant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the hardest thing for people to get past, is that they are not the ones living in the pond. Our fish, frogs, snakes, dragon flies and even birds call this home. Our skin is dry they all have the slimmies. Frogs and turtles search out these pockets of mud for the winter. So it's the thinking like how we live thats hard for most to look past, in order to be successful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
they are not the ones living in the pond

100% agree. I got shamed on "another" pond forum for admitting I had a gravel bottomed pond, no bottom drain, and didn't actually DO regular water changes. I was told "you should try living in YOUR toilet and see how YOU like it". I pointed out that fish actually live in not only their TOILET, but also their living room, bedroom, rumpus room, and kitchen... all at the same time. Nature has designed not only them (hence the slime coat) but also their environment (which is full of microscopic critters and cool natural cycles to handle the waste) to make sure they are able to live happily in their toilet house. They were not amused.

Now I know my example was somewhat problematic - in nature these fish wouldn't be living in a relatively closed, densely populated environment like our ponds. I was just pointing out exactly what you just did - we are each adapted to our unique living conditions. Comparing our environment to theirs is pointless.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We call them wild things. Lions and tigers and bears oh my.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I only watched the first video.

He did a nice job sculpting the ground and the overall finished product looked good, except for the exposed liner near the cap stones.
I personally prefer more of a natural look, but some people do like a more contemporary style.

Wow! So many things to comment on.

That liner doesn't look like EPDM or HDRPE. It looks like PVC to me. It seems pretty thin.

Toward the end of the video the fountain is turned up pretty high. There's going to be some water loss there for sure.

It appears he introduced the fish too soon.

Way too many fish were introduced. No consideration for how large they will get or how their numbers will increase from reproduction.

I'm no expert, but why did he handle the fish when introducing them? Why stress them by grabbing them? Just slowly pour them in.

Yes, You Tube is great in many aspects, but you have to decide on your own what is good, bad, true or false.
Whenever I need guidance on a subject, I'll watch several videos before coming to a decision on what I'm actually going to do.

One of the problems society has is many people don't use their brain. They see it on the internet or on the news and take it as unquestionable truth.
It's almost like they are brain lazy.
People need to exercise their brains by taking in different views or opinions, then decide on their own what they feel is the best decision.

Then there's "common sense". I don't know why they call it that when is not all that common!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I questioned the fish handling too - just so the camera could see them, I guess.

And someone mentioned this fountain being too large - he does change that out later, so he must have figured that one out.

And I agree - get a variety of viewpoints and then APPLY LOGIC. Not GORILLA GLUE. haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I questioned the fish handling too - just so the camera could see them, I guess.

And someone mentioned this fountain being too large - he does change that out later, so he must have figured that one out.

And I agree - get a variety of viewpoints and then APPLY LOGIC. Not GORILLA GLUE. haha!
Yeah, that person that put gorilla glue in their hair got what she deserved. I have no sympathy for imbeciles like that.
How could you be that stupid?
Or maybe she wanted her 15 minutes of fame?
Either way, this is what society has produced...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I saw a suggested video on YouTube and it horrified me. I couldn't watch it. But it was something along the lines of "I caught an octopus for my aquarium." Those creatures need a lot of stimulation and interaction. Biologists are learning more and more how intelligent they are. Maybe the person intended to observe for a little while and then release - I have no idea since I didn't watch it. But it made me sad to think of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I had a saltwater aquarium once. That's where I learned about the importance of algae and natural cycles. The theory transfers over to our fresh water ponds, but with fresh water we have a bit more leeway.

Ask a Question