If wishes were horses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Now is the time I wish I had someone close to me who knows how to do liners, Seams inside and outside corners. At over $1,000 and weighing 194lbs (20x30) working alone I'm a bit nervous and jerky of making a mistake.

Attachments

• 20220702_165307.jpg
    20220702_165307.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 30

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just looked at pic again- Ya -wow! I did a 10x10x5 raised pond in 2016. Hubby had just had shoulder surgery so did it on my own. Best advice I can give is to do 1 side at a time.Get it as smooth as possible and then move over to the adjoining side. Same thing- smooth. Then deal with the excess liner between the 2 sides. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now is the time I wish I had someone close to me who knows how to do liners, Seams inside and outside corners. At over $1,000 and weighing 194lbs (20x30) working alone I'm a bit nervous and jerky of making a mistake.
YOU SHOULD HAVE POSTED THIS EARLIER IN THE WEEK I WAS IN NORTH AND WEST JERSEY JUST YESTERDAY . i MADE A VISIT TO THE Everything Koi Or fritz koi farm. But heres the next best thing this will tell and show you how to seam like a pro with epdm https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/seaming-epdm-liner.26807/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is this rubber or poly? im not sure what im looking at. why is there even sections and cut at the bottom is that underlayment?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD
The section you see are the underlayment to protect the liner from direct contact to the 3/4 stone (bottom) and concrete walls.

@mrsclem Ty some sound advice

The biggest problem I have right now to overcome is in the background of the photo is a vertical wall, trying to hold the 45mil EPDM (heavy) in place is a near impossible task for 1 person.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
@GBBUDD
The section you see are the underlayment to protect the liner from direct contact to the 3/4 stone (bottom) and concrete walls.

@mrsclem Ty some sound advice

The biggest problem I have right now to overcome is in the background of the photo is a vertical wall, trying to hold the 45mil EPDM (heavy) in place is a near impossible task for 1 person.
Since you have thick walls, if you can anchor the top of the liner with heavy stones you may be able to get it done. I was luck, large clamps on the 2x12s. Still a beast of a job for one person.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Use the concrete to your advantage as compared to a dug hole. Put some rod with expanders into the concrete leaving hourselt 2.5 inches of rod sticking out of the concrete. Use those to secure a 2x4 that has the end of the rubber wrapped in it. Like it was a hotdogs rolled in dough. That will secure the end of the rubber And the UNDERLAYMENT YOU'LL want to do the same or similar all the way around d the pond to keep the underlayment from moving .
I know your fight well and by your self is not advised can you use an excavator to lift the rubber accross or place down into the bottom prefolded so all you have to do is lift one side then the other?
I strongly advice that your concrete edges be rounded over with a grinder under the underlayment at the top edge and at the bottom have mortar placed rounding the bottom so it's not a abrupt 90 degree. You'll have areas were the rubber will be being stretched and holding back the water if you don't. It's almost impossible to get it to sit tight against all around.
I don't know what oz of underlayment you have or how much overlap you have been the courses. But I'd at a minimum use gorilla tape and tape all the seams Fully so you don't open them up dragging the rubber across.
Another option is contact cement apply it to the walls and then to the fabric it doesn't need to hold forever just while you get the rubber in place.

Ask a Question