I'm weak!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I know I started out with all good intentions of not keeping koi and sticking with Shubbies so as to avoid feeding expensive fish to the herons... but I had a weak moment yesterday and got 2 shusui

They're so cool to watch. Sorry for the grainy pic..

1078000_10151852485176754_1844166218_n.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Uh... I'm having the same weakness as you but I still haven't succumb to it...yet!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your weakness will be glaring when you have one or two 2 foot fish in your pond! So far I have been happy with shubunkins and comets. I work on my pond when I want to not when I have to :)

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm a sucker for punishment... I also keep 3 reef tanks and have 2 high maintenance dogs... LOL!

Was at the local pond guys place where I got the kois and he has some really nice ones some at least 3 feet long, in his mud/clay pond. Just really liked watching these torpedoes glide through the water. I still like and probably keep the shubbies, they're fun to watch too.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
That's my next step, keep thinking about it, but I have some nice looking goldfish too.
I'm thinking separate pond for them, but that's going to involve me doing a lot of convincing.
DrCase said:
Next step ! Get rid of the gold fish so you know you have koi fry

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
DrCase said:
Next step ! Get rid of the gold fish so you know you have koi fry
I'm so on the fence on this one... I like seeing the kois and shubbies together as the kois tend to be mid to bottom water fish and the shubbies are mid to higher water fish... Or I can separate them with shubbies in the smaller pond and the koi in the upper, larger pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had some nice looking GF at one time with my koi,
I never new what the fry were going to be so i fixed it and gave the goldies away
Bigger ponds is all i have to look forward too

Ask a Question