Important of PH for koi fish

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Personally, I think the pH of you own body may be slightly more important than the pH of your pond water, not many people ever check that.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Again, as you did in another thread, you have ventured into referring to an undefined subject.

State my solution to what?

Was there a problem here that was needing solution?

Your solution to an approach that serves as a good example of the filtering processes involved in a water garden pond, which lead me to mention Novak and you wanting to argue with this without providing anything "fruitful" to the conversation.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've never understood why people like Dr. Novak (anoxic filtration) or Dr Adey (algae turf scrubber) try to claim or patent natural processes.
From the results of their actions, it seems like advancement in the hobby is restricted, not advanced.

Really quite simple Mitch... they created a product and the products work as the authors indicated they would... These authors are no more trying to patent these natural processes than say K1 bio-media selling their product is "trying to patent improving the natural processes of nitrification."

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Your solution to an approach that serves as a good example of the filtering processes involved in a water garden pond, which lead me to mention Novak and you wanting to argue with this without providing anything "fruitful" to the conversation.

In a "water garden pond", water quality is the measurement of the level of filtration, both mechanical and biological. Adequate filtration is based, not on the size (capacity) of a pond, but rather on the total biomass supported by the pond. Total SSA (Specific Surface Area) of a pond determines the maximum biomass that each pond can comfortably support by maintaining water quality. When fish are added to a pond's population, this usually increases the total biomass to a level that the existing SSA can not support. Thus, supplemental filtration, usually in the form of a 'bio-filter' is incorporated in order to increase the total SSA to the level required to support the total biomass. This SSA provides complete nitrification, resulting in Nitrate as the main end product. Plants and algae utilize this along with Phosphorus as nutrients to support their growth. High Nitrate levels are rarely encountered in a "water garden pond" hence no auxiliary denitrification is required. In a dedicated Koi pond, however, because of the absence of plants Nitrate levels can rise to a problematic level.
Although some denitrification is carried out by autotrophic bacteria, the largest percentage is converted by heterotrophic bacteria in an anoxic environment. The end product being Nitrogen gas. There are several configurations that will provide this with the anoxic trickle tower being the most widely used mainly because of its simple design, efficiency and required footprint.

Fruity enough for you Charles? Tried to keep the language simple for all to understand instead of displaying my command of related terminology and nomenclature as some others would.

Now back to the real subject of this thread.
Good catch on the donation option on the OP's blog, Randy. I missed that. Maybe I should consider adding such a feature to my blog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Really quite simple Mitch... they created a product and the products work as the authors indicated they would... These authors are no more trying to patent these natural processes than say K1 bio-media selling their product is "trying to patent improving the natural processes of nitrification."

From my point of view, I see it as "authorities" on the subject trying to make a name or profit for themselves.

I'm more familiar with the algae turf scrubber, but I remember that when Dr. Adey was awarded the patent, he took out double page advertisements in hobbiest magazines claiming how his design was the best and anyone that tried to copy or improve on the idea would be sued.

In the end, he sold very few, his contraption was messy, noisy and ineffective and hobbiests were scared off of modifying the design.
Since Dr. Adey gave up threatening hobbiests and promoting the design, hobbiests have made many improvements and the design of an algae scrubber keeps getting better and better. The whole process is much better understood now that people can experiment with it themselves.

If Dr. Novak really wanted to help the hobby, he would explain where and how the conditions he describes exist in nature, not only in a plastic tub of kitty litter.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Fruity enough for you Charles? Tried to keep the language simple for all to understand instead of displaying my command of related terminology and nomenclature as some others would.

Snarkiness aside... I did like the "command of related terminology and nomenclature" used in your explanation.

Yep, "fruity enough". (y)

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
From my point of view, I see it as "authorities" on the subject trying to make a name or profit for themselves.

I'm more familiar with the algae turf scrubber, but I remember that when Dr. Adey was awarded the patent, he took out double page advertisements in hobbiest magazines claiming how his design was the best and anyone that tried to copy or improve on the idea would be sued.

In the end, he sold very few, his contraption was messy, noisy and ineffective and hobbiests were scared off of modifying the design.
Since Dr. Adey gave up threatening hobbiests and promoting the design, hobbiests have made many improvements and the design of an algae scrubber keeps getting better and better. The whole process is much better understood now that people can experiment with it themselves.

If Dr. Novak really wanted to help the hobby, he would explain where and how the conditions he describes exist in nature, not only in a plastic tub of kitty litter.

Yep, I completely agree on all accounts. (y)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If Dr. Novak really wanted to help the hobby, he would explain where and how the conditions he describes exist in nature, not only in a plastic tub of kitty litter

Definitely looking forward to more concise explanations... which I think everyone could do better at...

Reaction score
. There are several configurations that will provide this with the anoxic trickle tower being the most widely used mainly because of its simple design, efficiency and required footprint..
Are you sure about that? Until you brought it to my attention I had never heard of that anoxic trickle tower, but Dr. Novak's system seems to have somewhat of a following and often comes up in forum discussions,,, for good or for bad. In fact, as I recall he was involved in at least one thread in this forum until Charles and Waterbug started giving him a hard time and chased him away. :sneaky:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If Dr. Novak really wanted to help the hobby, he would explain where and how the conditions he describes exist in nature, not only in a plastic tub of kitty litter..

Actually, I don't know why you would not extrapolate what Novak explains about his product to nature, outside of a plastic tub of kitty litter. This extrapolation beyond the "plastic tub of kitty litter" or concise explanations disputing this is what I find of interest.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
From my point of view, I see it as "authorities" on the subject trying to make a name or profit for themselves..
To be honest, I think there are also just as many "authoritative" critics & supporters thumping their chest to improve their name as well among those within their circle whenever these fellas pops up, such as Novak and even McMurtry (whom is actually peer reviewed).

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe we should dig up the anoxic filtration thread instead of bumping up the OP's thread for funding his "cause"
...:whistle:

If anyone is naive to believe this thread is effective at funding the author's "cause" here... then I have a bridge to sell ya. :D

I always see those funding buttons on many these articles... Just another blogger trying to jingle that can for some loose coins. ;)

Ask a Question