In fun what is the one thing you dont like or hate about the hobby?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Probably the worst part of the Hobby IMO is losing a fish, or usually in my case losing multiple fish and losing my favorites at the same time. Between Water snakes, Heron attacks, Owl attacks, and accidents it has taken it's toll on me mentally. Each time it seems to effect me more and more. Lately I have been helping others with pond issues and it seems I always get a call when some has a problem with a favorite fish and seeing them lose them here and there is also getting harder. Leaves a lost feeling inside when you do all you can to help someone out. Scope, scrape, identify, help treat and then have to inform them that it didn't make it. Don't get me wrong, It's extremely rewarding when I can help save one, or help assist in fixing a minor issue before it becomes something major. So the pluses still do out weigh the minuses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hate after having a warm day or two in the spring when the fish suddenly wake up and are flying around in the pond, and then the temps go back into the 30's and 40's and the fish stop moving for another month.

Reaction score
I don't have to worry about caring for lilies, the koi killed them all. The fake owl standing guard near the pond has kept the Barred Owl from coming back. Cleaning filters is not great fun but the fish do like the earthworms I have found in the filters. I guess I hate not having a bigger pond. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
maryland vines that seem to grow everywhere...................... and weeds going crazy this wet spring.

my pond is so simple, very little maintenance., except grooming lilies, and the wading is nice on our hot humid days.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cleaning / changing filters!

I don't like anything where it requires multiple steps & multiple pieces of equipment -- like when you have to get out and set up stuff, then put it all away.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Moving pea gravel for the bog. 40 bags put in the bog and then we moved it. It's been shut down for 3 years with only rain water. 25 bags today so we don't have to clean the muck out of the old one!

Ask a Question