In fun what is the one thing you dont like or hate about the hobby?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if anyone would have a different answer now, several months into the ponding season?

I really can't name a single thing about ponding that I don't love... except waiting for the ice to thaw in spring, maybe? But that's not really part of the hobby, is it? I love the puttering, the planting, the fish, the scooping... I love all of it! We designed our pond to be very low maintenance, so whatever I do now (after the initial pond construction was completed) it's because I want to, not because I have to.

Reaction score
I waited to long to clean my filter and it was a train wreck. Some of the water backflowed into the pond and about 5 days later I had a dead Oranda from what seemed like a bacteria infection.

Reaction score
Awwe sorry diesel :(
We've been having VERY HOT, VERY HUMID weather :( woke up this am and had a koi floating; a big butterfly.
I hate it when you do everything right and mother nature poops on it all :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
My biggest frustration: Always seeing more fish that I would like to buy, but knowing I don't have room for more, and then subsequently wanting to increase my pond size... it's a constant, vicious cycle!

Reaction score
For me so far, being new to this and with that big rehab project I posted..............................seaming the liner patch. High stress, no room for error, and it's gotta be just right.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fun is seeing babies, bad is seeing babies and worst thing is when things go wrong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sissy, I had to chuckle at your post. I'm enjoying seeing the babies, but have to plot how to catch and rehome them, then do it again next year! I think my floating plant baskets, gave the egg a place to hatch......maybe I'll delay putting them in....but I Iove them so.

Reaction score
For me so far, being new to this and with that big rehab project I posted..............................seaming the liner patch. High stress, no room for error, and it's gotta be just right.
if you're using an EPDM liner.....
Use the rubber roofing caulk they use for..... Well rubber rooves :)
It's in a caulking tube cost 6-7$ basically rubber in a tube can't remember then name but is (something)6000. Any roofing company will have it.

Reaction score
I hate having to manually skim out pine needles and leaves that create lots of muck in my pond. Looking to purchase and install an in-pond skimmer soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I wonder if anyone would have a different answer now, several months into the ponding season?

I really can't name a single thing about ponding that I don't love... except waiting for the ice to thaw in spring, maybe? But that's not really part of the hobby, is it? I love the puttering, the planting, the fish, the scooping... I love all of it! We designed our pond to be very low maintenance, so whatever I do now (after the initial pond construction was completed) it's because I want to, not because I have to.
ya... Spring thaw ...... and fish poo...lol but especially spring thaw. I love my pond :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Having my koi die. But since I've conected the upper pond to the lower pond, I've had to use no chemicals to keep the water crystal clear and have had no fish lose for 2 months. Woo hoo!!!!

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I hate spending time at work instead of by my pond. I tried to convince my boss that since I don't do anything at work he might as well pay me to sit by the pond and save me some gas money but he would not go for it. :(

Ask a Question