In fun what is the one thing you dont like or hate about the hobby?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont mind doing allthe chores in and around the pond be it being soaked cleaning thhe filters getting down and mucky I dont mind either .:)
Feeding the koi is fun, I find microscope work fasenating even treating mine or others koi .:)
But my number one pet hate is a chemical , the culprit ..... namely Malachite green .........why ?... because of this, no matter how careful you are with it in either trying to pour it , or painting it on a wound , even when you treat the water, it somehow gets all over the place in your hands on your cloths or staining something it shouldnt !!!!!1.... :mad:
Am I right or am I right it always escapes and your green for the next few days :(?

Dave (y)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pruning all the dead stuff when fall comes around. This quilt batting stuff to clear the fine muck is killing me doing it every day now for over a week! Put it in, take it out, rinse it off, rinse it off, rinse some more. Think I have it down to a science now tho. Chair to sit in, hose w/ jet stream attachment, shallow plastic tub, take pump hose off of batting and allow container to drain slowly in pond so as when lifting you don't allow all the gunk to spill back into pond, pot is also sitting on top of another pot so mostly out of water, grab the batting out and put in tub, put a new piece in, hose off dirty stuff and dunk and lift, dunk and lift, hose, hose, hose,dunk and lift and hang to dry. Do it all again the next day and the next and forever and ever Amen, sheesh!

It really does clear up the water nicely tho :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Winter combined with the cost of building it. I love having the pond but the cost has really put a hold on everything else I would normally be doing this time of year (camping, fishing, airshows, etc), and being so expensive, its a shame I only get to enjoy it only 6 months a year.

Also Autumn. I don't have any netting, so I have to go out every day in October and November and scoop hundreds of leaves.

Other than that, everything else has gone fairly smoothly. I'm sure some day there will be some catastrophic failure that will have me rethinking it all (seems most everyone here has had something go wrong at some point).

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Remember the line from the song "Love and Marriage"?
"You can't have one without the other"! :D
John

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Pruning all the dead stuff when fall comes around. This quilt batting stuff to clear the fine muck is killing me doing it every day now for over a week! Put it in, take it out, rinse it off, rinse it off, rinse some more. Think I have it down to a science now tho. Chair to sit in, hose w/ jet stream attachment, shallow plastic tub, take pump hose off of batting and allow container to drain slowly in pond so as when lifting you don't allow all the gunk to spill back into pond, pot is also sitting on top of another pot so mostly out of water, grab the batting out and put in tub, put a new piece in, hose off dirty stuff and dunk and lift, dunk and lift, hose, hose, hose,dunk and lift and hang to dry. Do it all again the next day and the next and forever and ever Amen, sheesh!

It really does clear up the water nicely tho :)

Would a flushable bio-active pressure filter work for your pond? So easy to flush.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Big Lou not sure it would get the fine stuff out that sets on the bottom till moved by a net and then clouds up the water. Plus they cost a lot. My big prefilter sucks up lots of stuff and it's easy to remove and clean but it doesn't suck up stuff just laying dormant on the bottom that is really fine or maybe it's just cuz I let it build up too much from last season. Think once I get it cleaned up then the prefilter will take care of it maybe. It really is much clearer now and even when I stir it up it clears up pretty fast so not much stuff on the bottom anymore now.

Ask a Question